Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Shaun K said:
I'd like to know too. I have 2 frames that need decals soon. Was this a one-time thing or do we have a second chance?
Actually... I have a neighbor who makes labels, decals, etc. for a living. I'm fixing up an old Schwinn for him, and talked to him about the possibility of fabricating some convincing Bontrager decals. I'll post again when I know more. He says he can make very durable, high quality decals, price being dependent on how many colors etc.

·
REALLY?
2,098 Posts
Isnt there a copywrite issue making these decals. I know its a fine line because usually fonts and decoration thereof isnt copywriteable, not in 3D graphic arts I know, but your using logo's, designs and whatnot, and this is tangible goods. I myself am amature graphic artist, I use photoshop among several other programs, and what I do is texture wire meshes for 3D models, I know if copyed someone elses work - even if I did the work on my own but it look like I didnt a person(s) could file a DMCA (digital media copywrite act) against me and have my work removed - and if I persisted it could eventually go to court. Serious and professional graphic artist in the graphic arts community are pretty uptight about that sorta stuff, and I dont see why it would be much different in the cycling industry.

Nice work by the way - , and assuming you do have permission to do this, just a suggestion, whatever program your using be sure to have your antialiasing enabled, it will help with the jagged edges.

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
I'm looking for a Head Tube Badge

The rest of the decals just get thrashed because I use the bike hard. My badge looked like this.

Attachments

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
Found a decal on my old tool box

I shot it and worked it up in Photoshop. I wish I knew Illustrator so things could be smoother but I think I have something I can use. Any thoughts on how to reproduce this in a media which will hold up to the weather and use?

Attachments

·
Dual Squishy...
650 Posts
Man, I would LOVE to have a set or two. Getting ready to break down my Bontrager, get it Powder Coated and rebuild it. Either going with the same original color or a matte Tan. Get a set like what's pictures below, and a set with Blue instead of Yellow Bands/"B" head badge/"OR" lettering/Bontrager lettering...

Anyone still making these for the masses?

Current sticker/frame color:

Head Badge:

·
Registered
1 Posts
original bontrager decals

are made by Nick Dawes, seipswich.co.uk
Got the info from Keith Bontrager himself
- keep your Bontrager original!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just for info's sake (I haven't ordered from them yet, but have done a bit of emailing) I contacted a company called Bikesdecals.com and asked them if they could do up a set of Bontrager decals (I just picked up a Race). Within 24 hours, they had this ( http://www.bikesdecals.com/90s-bont...th=54&osCsid=0d9f3089141d6db4d428f98ba04f693d ) listed on their website. $26 shipped.

I will be ordering after getting the powdercoating done, but if anyone orders before me, please post about the experience/quality. They're from Uruguay, so the communication has been choppy, but very quick.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I hate to say it and I can assure you it's not meant dig against them but it you are going to reproduce an original decal is it not the generally idea to match it as closely as possible...

The text size and font are totally wrong, way to heavy and oversized and you seem to be limited to one colour combination, I guess you get what you pay for...

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.