Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Let me ask my wife
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sorry for the delay, pneumonia and work made it difficult to get back to everyone till now. I want to thank Gil for sending these off so everyone could see exactly what they were getting before paying.
<O:p
I took pictures of the reproduction panels (CX, bl/wh & yel/wh) for your review. I also took some close ups of originals I have for comparison sake.

My initial thought is they look OK. They look very good if your standing next to the bike checking it out, but if you get real, real close and inspect them you'll notice the edges aren't as sharp as originals. Also, since these are digitally printed as opposed to screen printed grey/silver is a little washed out up close. From a foot away though all is good.
<O:p</O:p<O:p
Pic 1 - CX Bdot (reproduction)<O:p</O:p
Pic 2 - Bdot (original)<O:p</O:p
Pic 3 - OR Bdot (reproduction)<O:p</O:p
Pic 4 - OR Paw Print (reproduction)
<O:p</O:pPic 5 - Race USA</ST1:p (original)</O:p

Attachments

·
Let me ask my wife
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
more pics

Pic 6 - Race USA (original)
Pic 7 - CX panels (reproduction)<O:p</O:p
Pic 8 - OR panels (reproduction)<O:p</O:p
Pic 9 - OR panels (reproduction)
Pic 10 - OR <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
<ST1:pUSA</ST1:p</st1:country-region> (reproduction)

Attachments

·
velocipede technician
8,877 Posts
sweet baby jesus

time to figure out what colors i want:D big ups to all involved.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Basically guys its one of the problems with digitally printed files, all my artworks are Vector files, so nice clean crisp edges, no chance of pixilation due to poor files.

The bit that lets it down is the method of printing, as Hoss rightly says from 10"-12" away they are fine, however if you are to look very closely the edges are not the clean crisp finish of a screen print.

I have been a screen printer for the last 20 years and have seen a lot on changes and if the orders were large enough I would screen print a batch, however you would not have the flexibility of colour and design choice.

At least this way everybody knows what they are getting and can decide if they are still interested

Hope this helps

·
Let me ask my wife
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
holden said:
nice. was the bleeding a result from printing or was the source file rastered like that? vector files?
I'm the wrong person to ask, I'm just the middle man. Perhaps Gil or someone else here can answer that.

·
VRC Illuminati
17,648 Posts
hollister said:
two sets?:skep:
The purple Race's yellow set is a bit trashed. If they're cheap enough, I'll have one on hand as an extra.

And a $20 Privateer frame I picked up at VeloSwap that a buddy is repainting for me. Fake Bonty OR for my kid brother. :D

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
gil,

would the ti lite decals be better or worse since they don't have the panel?

thanks.

·
Registered
115 Posts
The Ti-lite ones would be as the originals, they are a total different process

Check out the post ~ "Bringing back life to a cracked Ti Bonty"

Will confirm a price to Hoss in the next day or so

Cheers

·
Neo-Retro Forever
1,576 Posts
There was a sample in the first post about these about some Road Lite decals...Are those still a possibility?

-Richard

·
In FTF We Trust
1,815 Posts
Hoss, I'm on board for 1 set of CX decals in the original red panel color (as shown); possibly one more CX set in an alternative color scheme depending on final price. Keep me in the loop.

·
Old School
1,039 Posts
Two sets here too....

Hoss,
Please include me on the wish list.:thumbsup:

I'll probably want to pick up two sets -- I'm thinking one each OR and a Race (Is that right -- Square edge and dart respectively?)

Cheers~
Joe:cool:

·
Let me ask my wife
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK everyone, here's the pricing I have so far. Digitally printed sets are 15 GBP or 30 USD plus shipping. Shipping from the UK for the 3 sets Gil sent me was ~$6. Since this was so cheap all panels will ship from the UK.

Gil may also be able to include a screen printed silver or black on clear “Handmade in” seat tube decal if there are enough orders. I also asked him about screen printed CX panels since most everyone will want the same color.

Here is a list of everyone that contacted me for decals. If I missed someone please let me know.

hollister
rumpfy
gotdirt
richieb
el-cid
joe steel
laffeaux
jpo
jack lantern
c.l.
donkekus
jeroen
grumpyone
veloculture
williwoods
bikenerd

Please use my email address (hoss.allison at gmail dot com) to let me know what you decals you still want and I'll get with Gil to work out the details. Do not send a private message.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Thanks for you help Hoss

If anybody else is interested please PM me or email me at
gil(AT)thecycleshed(DOT)co(DOT)uk

·
horn doggie
847 Posts
Darn it... I just saw this thread. Is it too late to get on the list??

I need a set (top tube, down tube, head badge) with the angled borders (1995-ish vintage) for a RACE with black frame. I think those I've seen with white panels and black/silver letters would be best.

Can I still get on board?

--S.

I like these:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.