·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At Tamarancho

Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle wheel Wheel

B&W

Bicycle tire Wheel Tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle wheel rim

Frame is an XL with the old horizontal dropouts, and a 2.1 just fits - some 2.2s maybe.

Wrapped up the rebuild/conversion this spring and I'm really enjoying the ride. Even better than the original build I think - especially nice on the singletrack...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MMcG said:
Was the Waltworks fork built specifically for the 650b hoops?
Yes, Walt built the fork specifically for this project. :thumbsup:

Disc front/canti rear is quite effective and nicely balanced, actually. I got lucky and came across an old set of Avid tri-aligns, and they work perfectly in the rear.

A few other "dumpster diving" finds as well - "Bontrager" cranks, ti handlebar, stem, and seatpost. The 1" ti stem (good length, even), and 26.8 seatpost were particularly lucky. And most of the rest is new - I think the seatpost clamp is the only thing remaining from the original build...

·
Premium Member
7,491 Posts
Thanks!

Thanks for the kind words, Eric.

I'll note that this kind of project (convert older frame to run 650b, either front/rear or front only) works MUCH better, in general, than trying to convert to a 29" front wheel (which I get questions about constantly). The 650b will fit on a fork that can actually be built short enough (down to about 395mm axle-crown) to match the original frame geometry in most cases, unlike the 29" setups where we usually have to start adding tons of rake or otherwise messing around to get the bike to ride decently because of the extra wheel height and fork length.

-Walt

·
master blaster
1,149 Posts
nice, i wouldve done it with cantis front and rear but its still awesome. are you using a blunt in the back?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
veloreality said:
nice, i wouldve done it with cantis front and rear but its still awesome. are you using a blunt in the back?
P35 front and Stans 355 rear.

I initially thought I'd do all cantis, but I'm happy to have the disc in front.

It's nice on the long fireroad descents around the Bay Area.

But the biggest problem with cantis these days is the rims. It's getting tough to find a proper mountain bike rim that takes rim brakes, and the choices are really slim in 650b. I'd actually love to be running a Blunt or maybe even another P35 in the rear, but wasn't willing to hack a disc brake mount into the frame to make it happen...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts