Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been running Stans for years on a variety of wheelsets with no problems. However, a friend has asked me to set up his Bontrager RaceLite Tubeless wheelset for him. He is currently running a regular IRC tire on them with a tube. I've got the tubeless valves, etc., that came with the wheelset. It appears from a quick review on the net that I can set up these rims as tubeless using a "regular" tire with Stans sealant. Can anybody give me a little more specifics on how to do this? Thanks!!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Bontrager Tubeless

The Bontrager Tubeless wheels come with a rim strip and a valve stem that allow the wheels to be run tubeless. When running the wheels with a tube, the rim strip can be removed and replaced with rim tape to save weight.

I have run bontrager wheels in the following configurations

1) Regular tire, bontrager rim strip and valve, stans sealant: This is the lightest setup, but I had an issue with the tires burping air.

2) Regular tire, stan's rim strip and stans sealant: This was a rock solid setup. The only issue was that it was difficult to change tires, as the sealant drys between the tire and the rim strip

3) Bontrager Tubeless Ready (TR) Tires, Bontrager Rim Strip, and Stans sealant: This is setup work great all of last year. It is very easy to air up the TR tires, and stans is the best sealant

·
Registered
419 Posts
tires with stans rim strip

noslogan said:
Cool. What kind of regular tires have you used?
I used conti explorer pro and twister pro tires and regular Bontrager Jones ACX and Revolt tires with stans rim strips.

In the past I obsessed about what were the best tires, and constantly switched tires. Now I just use The Bontrager Jones ACX TR on the front and primarily the Bontrager revolt-X TR on the rear. If It is muddy, I also run a Jones ACX TR on the rear.

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
Darn it I was gonna post about those bonty rim strips, maybe I have something to add?

http://www.bontrager.com/Mountain/Parts_and_Accessories/Wheel_Accessories/6914.php

There are 2 types of bonty rim strip, asymetric and standard, I use Mustang rims which are asymetric with an off bed spoke pattern, lighter stronger wheel.

For me and I change tires allot, I have found these Rim strips to be the hot setup for running tubless, either standard tires run UST or full UST tires, I use stans sealant in both setups though less in UST config.

The tires fit like a snap, literally, like a mavic when mounting, and oh so nice no more struggles to get the tire to bead properly!

Steal valves, fit similar to mavics though seem to be better quality and have been told no probs to date from other clients, light, cheap dirt cheap here compared to Stans strips, and indestructable though time will tell, this was from the source who sold em to me.

Stans strips always go at the valve stem, and also clog, expensive here, tires are a shiat to bead, never been happy with this.

Will be interesting to see how the stans sealant lasts, though for me this isn't a biggie anways!

Ive had no burping problems, but I have found this on Stans with non UST tires that have soft or overly light sidewalls, contys are quite light in this area compared to most brands, lighter tire weight is often the prob, course body weight and ride style may have something to add also, I haven't suffered a flattie for years, and when tires rolled on the side walls snake bits were common, something to think about!

For me they rock and now I love my wheels even more, with Kings they are indeed King
buzz buzz

·
Registered
282 Posts
Do you have the regular Mustang rim or the TLR Mustang rim? I have a wheelset off an '07 Rig (OSB Mustand 29" non-TLR rim) and Bontrager claims that the regular rims will not work with the tubeless strip.

Thanks,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts