Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Weight Maniac
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was the crank which I upgraded to on my Superfly. Check it out now:

I was riding on the street about a mile from my house and I was waiting for the light to turn green at a busy intersection. I think I was in my large front ring when the light turned green and I accelerated very hard as I have a habit of trying to beat the cars to the 100 yard mark. About three pedal strokes in I felt an instant lack of resistance and fell forward toward the toptube but caught myself before getting railed...if you know what I mean. I smacked the ever luvin begeezers of the inside of my left knee against the top tube an bruised it pretty badly. I recovered within a second or so, looked down and saw the chain on the middle ring and continued on. I was a little bit embarrassed because there were so many people and a couple of gals on the sidewalk corner that saw the whole thing. I even heard them say Ohhhhh! as they probably assumed that I did bottom out my package on the top tube...lol

I actually rode and continued on not realizing that there was any problem. The chainring had wedged itself in some way that it was fairly straight and somewhat tight against load. Since I didn't realize what happened until looking at it later that night I really don't know what position it was wedged in. I accidentally discovered the problem because I shifted to the small ring and then the assembly loosened up.

To say the least I was surprised and bummed. I called the LBS and told them what happened and sent them a dozen pictures or so. I'm confident that Trek/Fisher will take care of me as it should be a warranty issue. I'm guessing it was just a fluke but I thought I post my experience and hear your comments or questions.

One more close up pic:

·
Registered
290 Posts
Ohhhh, you are a lucky guy.. kind of. It looks like the Chain ring bolts are Shimano and the crank comes with.... Not really sure actually. Did you measure the tightness if/when you remove/installed the rings.

Bontrager will most likely warranty the crank, but will you keep it?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm almost willing to put money on the fact that Bonty will warranty it, I've had nothing but good warranty experiences from them. That is definitely one sweet piece of crankset. A friend of mine has them and absolutely loves them. They look way better on the superfly than the stock ones do, probably because of the white. Anyway, enjoy your replacements, and check torque specs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
To much powah.sweet set of cranks.I betting they don't warranty the set.they arent original rings,or chainring bolts.If they werent installed by a shop within torque specs they will pass on the warranty.Thats freakin sweet that you broke them under power on the street.

·
Weight Maniac
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
ScaryJerry said:
That's badass!

LOL!!!!! yes, it does have a certain cool factor :cool: ...lol, even though I don't have a replacement crank and I'm bummed.

BigWheeler
Plus one! You have rock-solid crank-crushing thighs of manly steel!

Now go drink a beer, lay off the bike for a while, and let the rest of us mere mortals catch up.
Dude...that's too funny........ROFL. I got a kick out of that. I'm not a big guy at 165lbs but I am a sprinting fool back from my road racing days. I always seem to accelerate like a rocket because I can't teach myself not to. Part of me is actually wondering if this isn't a fluke and I really did fatigue it because of my riding style. I really to hope that's not the case though.

Playpunk
That sucks. One expensive piece of fancy plastic down the tubes. Will bonty warranty it? Would you take it if they'd give you a new one?

It does suck because I purchased that crank as part of my special project. I really believe they'll warranty it. I know the Trek rep. and he's a good guy. Obviously it didn't happen because of any abuse and I didn't smack the chainring or anything. As you can see, all the teeth on the big ring are perfect.

getout87
I'm almost willing to put money on the fact that Bonty will warranty it, I've had nothing but good warranty experiences from them. That is definitely one sweet piece of crankset. A friend of mine has them and absolutely loves them. They look way better on the superfly than the stock ones do, probably because of the white. Anyway, enjoy your replacements, and check torque specs.
I'm with you. I don't think I'll run into any warranty argument about this. It's a fairly straight forward failure. I did love the crank before it broke. It's light, didn't flex much, and looks great. The LBS said that they have never seen or heard of such a thing with this crank. I go through my bike almost every ride to make sure things are snug. They always are but I check anyway. I'm not sure why exactly it happened but I don't think it was because of incorrect torque-age. :)

bigfish
Ohhhh, you are a lucky guy.. kind of. It looks like the Chain ring bolts are Shimano and the crank comes with.... Not really sure actually. Did you measure the tightness if/when you remove/installed the rings.

Bontrager will most likely warranty the crank, but will you keep it?
Everything was snug with a mechanic's hand torque...yes that's general, but after 25+ years of this stuff you get a feel for it. Sure, I'll keep the crank and give it another try. If it I break another one and hopefully it doesn't cause a crash, I'll be looking for a cash reimbursement of some type and I go with something else.

roady
To much powah.sweet set of cranks.I betting they don't warranty the set.they arent original rings,or chainring bolts.If they werent installed by a shop within torque specs they will pass on the warranty.Thats freakin sweet that you broke them under power on the street.
lol....that's the only funny part about this incident isn't it...lol. We'll actually the rings are stock. This particular crank comes with those and it's part of the reason they're so expensive. The chainring bolts are aluminum Shimano which are not factory but either were the Stronglite ring bolts that Bonty matched with the crank. They'd really have to be hard nosed to stand with that argument. I really don't think they're going to make an issue out of this to be honest. The carbon sheered plain and simple, the shards are pointed and sweeping back in the direction that it sheered which sorta erases any doubt about what direction the load was from. Hopefully my confidence in their ability to resolve this isn't misplaced. We'll see...and I'll let you guys know.

·
The Dog.
959 Posts
Is it really that much lighter than an XTR M970? If so, is it worth it? Ah the life of a weight weenie...

Just out of curiousity...are you the same "Patriot" as the one over at bikeforums.net who has a pimped pedal force bike?

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
should warranty I would think...yeah XXX and some other light cranks are just a bit too much off for me...go XTR next time. Only 7g heavier (system weight), and people DH with those....c'mon. Hopefully just defect though.

·
Registered
290 Posts
A shimano XTR M970 is 797.7g on my scale (thats with the three BB spacers and 175mm length) and a Bontrager XXX lite crank is 557.0g and an American Classic BB is 153.4g.

Works out to be 87.3g lighter, you can make the call if its worth it.

·
The Dog.
959 Posts
bigfish said:
A shimano XTR M970 is 797.7g on my scale (thats with the three BB spacers and 175mm length) and a Bontrager XXX lite crank is 557.0g and an American Classic BB is 153.4g.

Works out to be 87.3g lighter, you can make the call if its worth it.
Gosh...considering all of the woes with the older AC hubs, I'd think their BB's might be trouble as well (though no experience).

I'm making the call...I'd stick to XTR (assuming I could afford either one).

·
Weight Maniac
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Dogdude222 said:
Is it really that much lighter than an XTR M970? If so, is it worth it? Ah the life of a weight weenie...

Just out of curiousity...are you the same "Patriot" as the one over at bikeforums.net who has a pimped pedal force bike?

The combo weight of the xxxlite crank and american classic BB are about a 85 grams lighter than the XTR set-up

Nope....that must be a different Patriot. : ) This is the only bike forum that I regularly post on.

·
Weight Maniac
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Dogdude222 said:
Gosh...considering all of the woes with the older AC hubs, I'd think their BB's might be trouble as well (though no experience).

I'm making the call...I'd stick to XTR (assuming I could afford either one).

The AC BB seems to be built well and has been trouble free. It's also a cro-mo steel axle but they use the split ring set-up which they've patented. It reduces the weight where it doesn't matter and keeps the steel where it does matter. I'm happy with it.

·
Weight Maniac
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
crazylax42 said:
should warranty I would think...yeah XXX and some other light cranks are just a bit too much off for me...go XTR next time. Only 7g heavier (system weight), and people DH with those....c'mon. Hopefully just defect though.
Actually the difference between my current set-up and XTR is about 85 grams. If they give me a replacement, which they probably will, I'm just going to use it. If it fails again, then I'll make the change. My opinion is that this was a fluke from the response I've had from the LBS and googling forums.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts