Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't find any reviews, anyone familiar with this wheelset? I'm a fan of custom built wheels, but I've found a good deal on these and figured they would probably work as my starting 29er wheelset as I'm trying to build up another bike without the wife kicking me to the curb!

Thoughts?

·
Registered
370 Posts
The Bontranger Race Disc 29's come stock on some of Fisher's upper end 29ers. They actually pretty solid wheels (28 spoke count). I wouldn't consider them light (not sure of exact weight), but they have held up pretty well. I have a set that came on my Paragon (05) that have been trued once. I've been running them on my Salsa and will continue to do so until they die.

If you can get them for cheap and they don't have too many miles on them, go for it. What price range are you trying to stay in?

·
Cold. Blue. Steel.
1,709 Posts
I'd agree that these are great wheels for the money, right out of the box. Not the lightest, trickest or prettiest, but they sure get the job done with no complaints and leave you with enough dough to score a really trick set of wheels down the road.

OGG

·
Registered
179 Posts
Thumbs UP

I agree with all of the above, been using them with out any issues. They have held up fine under my 170lbs, XC use with some mild jumping and drops thrown in here and there.

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mattyd said:
If you can get them for cheap and they don't have too many miles on them, go for it. What price range are you trying to stay in?
Thats kind of what I was thinking...

They are brand new (take off from a new bike) wheels.

I dont really have a price range I'm tied to. I was prepared to throw down some coin to get a nice wheelset built up (DT rims and probably DT hubs) from Larry at MtnHighCyclery, but if these aren't total rubbish then the price is very right.

Trying to stay affordable (this is supposed to be my "low budget" bike), but don't want to buy something that I'll just end up replacing immediately.

Thanks for all the comments, I think I should pick these up.

·
No longer 26
3,090 Posts
I think the rims are the same or very similar in weight to the Mustang disc rims. If that is considered, most of the weight difference is in the hub and not at the outside of the rotating weight, where it has been argued that it makes the most noticeable difference. Actuall weights with no strips or skewers. The Hayes build is: Hayes Superlight (DT 240) hubs, Wheelsmith DB14 spokes, brass nips.

Wheel Front Rear Total

Hayes/Mustang 29 862 967 1829
Bonty Race 29 872 1115 1987

The Bontrager rims go tubeless with stans 26" rimstrips pretty well too.

·
EXORCIZE
2,242 Posts
I don't know much about wheels, but here's my experience: I've had about 6-8 rides on a pair on my Asylum OCD/Titus RX29. They seem pretty strong and stiff - haven't trued them yet, feel solid, but I'm only 170#. Only problem was I started to notice a bit of stickiness/internal friction (it wasn't spinning freely) up front. I oiled it a few times and its much better, but not perfect.

I bought the Asylum used. Previous owner was 200# and put 6 months on them and raced them several times. No problems that I know of.

I've got an Ignitor and a Motoraptor on them. Both fit very loosely. Wouldn't think about using a tire lever to put them on or remove them. But they stay on.

Minimal bling, but all black does the trick.

Edit: woops - thought you asked about Race Lites, which I have...

·
fnInt(1/x^2,x,0,1)
448 Posts
Just like Ryder1, I have an Asylum OCD with Races (not Race Lites) as my everyday wheels. Very sturdy, no problems. I pound the crap out of them on this bike and my Niner EMD set up as singlespeed without problems. Mine were used too, but they're great as a nasty day/everyday wheelset. Highly recommended...

·
Registered
50 Posts
This wheelset came stock on my GF 292. I am 220lbs and ride pretty agressive. (over a year old). The wheels have held up great! I would recommend them! :thumbsup: Ohio, eh? Ever go riding in Michigan?

·
_
850 Posts
G-Live said:
The Bontrager rims go tubeless with stans 26" rimstrips pretty well too.
You are correct, I have the Bonty Mustangs that came with my used 05 Pearl Purple GF Rig I picked up. I just mounted a Panny Rampage up front and havent done my back wheel yet, but a Kenda Nevegal will be put on. The Rampage sealed up right away. :D

·
rider
2,356 Posts
bdee said:
I just mounted a Panny Rampage up front and havent done my back wheel yet, but a Kenda Nevegal will be put on. The Rampage sealed up right away. :D
I suggest you consider putting the Nevegal up front and the Rampage on the rear. Unless you like your front end to wash out before the rear...:yikes:

·
_
850 Posts
29erchico said:
I suggest you consider putting the Nevegal up front and the Rampage on the rear. Unless you like your front end to wash out before the rear...:yikes:
chico, i had a pretty successful ride this past sunday with this combo. the panny hooked up great and didnt wash out at all. this was only my first ride on the 29er, so i wasnt as aggressive as i'll probably be a few rides from now. i asked a few of the guys who ride 29ers in our group and they recommended that combo for our dirt here in so. cal. (south oc trails). so far so good, but i have ran nevegals up front on my 26er, but that is a different story. i didnt pull out a measuring device, but it looked like to me that the panny was a tad wider than the nev, so i put it upfront for that reason as well.

i appreciate your input, as it seems to be a toss up of which tire to run up front or in the back after reading all the reviews on this board.

·
Samsonite Tester
3,993 Posts
Bontrager hoops are under rated. Take the deal.

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
cdnxj said:
Ohio, eh? Ever go riding in Michigan?
Actually Oklahoma State, but I now reside on the Front Range in Colorado. Love the school, but the "mountains" are quite the same in Oklahoma so I have to be a long distance fan.

I've worked some in Columbus, but never got to ride there or Michigan.

·
rider
2,356 Posts
bdee said:
i appreciate your input, as it seems to be a toss up of which tire to run up front or in the back after reading all the reviews on this board.
The Nev is actually wider if you measure the tread. Side knobs are a more substantial and much stickier rubber as the Nev is a dual compound tire. Pose this question to Shiggy, Mikesee or Rainman if you like. Pretty sure they will agree with the Nev in the front.

I have a Nev in the front and a Rampage in the rear. The Panaracer rolls a bit faster, lasts longer and is cheaper, so for everyday riding it is a fine choice for a rear. For conditions where max traction both f&r trumps all, I'll have the Nev front and rear.

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Got em.

Brand new taken off a Gary Fisher 29er in leiu of some custom King wheels. They aren't the lightest, but they look pretty good and at $200 for both wheels, tires, tubes and skewers I couldn't pass them up.

Thanks for the comments everyone. Now to determine if I need a Medium or a Large frame....

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ryder1 said:
Nice going. What kind of tires?
They are the Bontrager Jones XR 29 Gumbi 2.25s. They look OK, if nothing else I can run them when I'm on the pavement and save the good ones for dirt.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.