Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
The Crazy Cat Lady of VRC
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Father's Day was pretty good to me.....

I'm undecided on my plans for it though; what do you guys think?

Options:

1. Keep it as is (with the 3x9, riser bars, modern RD, Gripshift, etc.) and ride it like I stole it.

2. Put it back to a more vintage vibe and still ride it like I stole it.

3. Single-speed it,(it's light as is, and I get the fuzzies thinking about how it would feel s/s) and ride it like I stole it.

No matter which way I go, I plan on riding it hard and enojoying the hell out of it.

Options 4, 5, and 6: Ghost jump it, Ghost jump it on fire, and Give it to "insert name here" were already considered and dismissed, but feel free suggest them anyway.

Steve

·
Certified Bike Junkie
1,747 Posts
I think I would put on a flat bar and a normal seatpost and call it good. Those yellow wheels do stand out a bit though.

If you do decide to retro grade it though, that white 9.0sl stuff seems to be getting decent money.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hey,

We all missed the point here guys... DId Mrs. Eastcoats give this to you as a gift for Fathers Day? If so I need to know if your wife has any sisters and the number of a good lawyer in PA. -John Y.

·
Dumpster Diver
1,093 Posts
Fixie, neg rise stem, 3" wide bar, sewups, and toe staps. Oh, and wear three sizes too small pants when you ride it.

IMHO I'd period correct it.

·
bonked
2,129 Posts
I think I would ride it and see how it feels first. As I get older the riser bars are starting to appeal to me more. Maybe a whicker basket on the front to... no scratch that. Just the riser bars are OK.

Maybe 'era' correct wouldn't be such a far reach (easier and quicker). Ditch the white gripshift stuff and dopey seatpost and throw some rapid fire or if you feel the urge to stick with gripshift, some Xrays.

Then sell it to Stan for $40 at a garage sale, steal it from him and ghost ride it on fire at the Bronco Eric posted the other day

·
The Crazy Cat Lady of VRC
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the input guys.

While the flaming ghost ride sounds into Rumpfy's Bronco would be cool, I think I'm gonna stick with option 1 and ride it for a while as is. I'll let the bike and my riding style (or lack of) help me decide which way to go with the build down the trail.

The seller was pretty sure it was a '94. Hollister, what in particular would you need to see pics of to narrow it down?

JJY, Mrs. Eastcoast didn't pop for it, but she did give the all important "permission to add the stable with selling something first" approval, and let me sneak away for three and a half hours Father's Day morning to go pick it up.

Yetified, fixie....tempting, but I'm not cool enough to hang with that crowd and the x-small pants might affect my performance with Mrs. Eastcoast.

Seller also threw these in the deal:

I've never used clipless, are they any good and what cleat would I need to try 'em out?

Thanks,

Steve

·
Dumpster Diver
1,093 Posts
eastcoaststeve said:

Seller also threw these in the deal:

I've never used clipless, are they any good and what cleat would I need to try 'em out?

They'll match your bike. Standard spud (SPD) cleats will work. You must learn to use clipless. IMO they make for better riding. Remember to ride around your house clicking in and out of them until you're comfortable with the action. Remember Dorothy on The Wizard of Oz, when she says "there's no place like home" and clicks her heels? That's how you get out of spuds by rotating your heels outwardly.

Thanks,

Steve

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.