Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and gals. I have a 2014 Trek X-caliber 8 and it sucks that they didn't use the bontrager mustang elite wheels on the previous models because the 2015 8-9 come with them from factory. I really like the feel of the elites over the stock bontrager at-850 that came on my bike but they don't have them on the bontrager site! Does anyone know where I can find them?

·
Thinking about riding.
2,169 Posts
I don't think those are actually available except as warranty replacements. The lowest spec wheel Bontrager (Trek) sells seperately is the Rhythm Elite.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Dealers can often get "replacement" wheels that aren't marketed for sale as aftermarket wheels. In this case the rear wheel part number is W438479 and is $220, front wheel is W438478 and $180. If I were upgrading, I would go with a Duster / Rhythm rim wheel. The wider rim is nicer at lower pressure and doesn't add much weight. Admittedly, I have never tried to order one of these wheels, but there is nothing to indicate that they are warranty-only.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I had the 2013 mustangs. I ovalized the rear in less than 8 month of riding and I don't ride that hard (no drops, jumps, etc...).

On the plus side, they are light...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Not sure if you are still looking for these wheels but I am taking delivery of a Trek Superfly 8 in a couple of weeks which has these wheels and am looking to possibly sell them to get a different set.

PM me if you are interested and we can see if we can work something out

·
Registered
572 Posts
The Mustang lineup of wheels are fine wheels. Idk if I'd recommend them as "upgrades" because you can some cool stuff out there for just a little more. However, if you find a great deal on Mustangs, then they are significantly better than AT-series wheels.

I have the Mustang Pros on my current bike and haven't felt the need to upgrade.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts