Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Bontrager mustang elite freehub removal

21K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Cannonf700 
#1 ·
I just recently purchased a Trek procaliber 9.6. I am wanting to swap the freehub on the wheelset to a Sram XD freehub. The wheels are bontrager mustang elite and are boost.
I have been able to remove the rear axle from the hub but cant remove the freehub. Is there a guide out there on how to do this with these wheels or does anyone here know how to disassemble the rear hub.

Also wondering if anyone here knows what brand is the rear hub on this wheelset

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

#2 ·
Having serviced many Bontrager hubs, but not that one in particular, I'll try to help since no one else has yet. The freehub will most likely simply pull out from the hub shell if pulled, it is simply held in place by the compression of the axle when on the bike. There is typically an end cap the axle fits into on the outboard side of the freehub body, remove this first. Next you will simply rotate the freehub body (click, click, click) as you pull it away from the hub shell. Everything should stay in place, but just in case do this over a surface that would make finding a spring or pawl easy.

Again, I haven't done this to a Mustang in particular but Bontrager rebrands those lower end hubs so it should be the same... Either way, pulling on it a bit shouldn't hurt anything if I'm wrong. If I'm right it won't take much force, so stop before you think about putting it in a vice.

Hope this helps, if not contact a Trek dealer and they can look up the tech sheet.

#4 ·
I have tried pulling it with a lot of force but it just won't budge. I haven't put it in a vice yet. I contacted Trek and they sent me instructions for the wrong hub. I also have contacted formula and the shop I purchased the bike from but heard nothing.

It would make sense that it should just pull out as I can't see anything else that would be holding it in place, it just refuses to.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

#6 ·
The aftermarket wheels are not always the same as the OEM wheels on the Trek bikes. for the 2017 OEM wheels, here is the Trek part number for the freehub body W547627. I,m pretty sure there is not an XD driver for that hub. This is the UPC for reference as well.

Good luck

#13 ·
I just threw together a video on a complete tear down and service from a 2017 Trek Procaliber 9.6 Mustang Elite Boost 148 Rear Hub. This includes the freehub body. But on my wheel it was a different type with the loose ball bearings and not the cartridge bearings. Anyway, video shows how to take it all apart:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.