Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to upgrade wheelsets for XC racing. I contacted Mike at lacemine29.com. Here's what he recommended for my Cannondale F29 (currently has WTB Dual Duty's)

Cannondale Lefty front hub, 32h, black
Hope Pro 2 disc hub, 32h, black
Bontrager Mustang Disc OSB TLR rims, 32h, black (490g / rim)
DT Swiss Competition butted spokes, black
DT alloy nips, blue

I wanted to see what these rims looked like, so I went to the Bontrager website. They aren't listed anywhere on the website. Does anyone have any experience with these rims or (ideally) wheelset? Any photos?

I would ask Mike but he's off racing the Iditarod and won't return until April 1.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Actually an excellent rim...

and a big sleeper. The reason being is they aren't bling, they aren't made by some Swiss or French company with a big rep and a bigger pride (price wise) in their products. They are simply a solid rim that works very well. My son rode a set HARD, that were laced up to a set of Chris King ISO's. They replaced a set of 4.1d DT's that needed to be retired, but he didn't have the cash at the time to replace them with another pair of the 4.1's. He put two seasons on them and they were still going strong when he sold the wheel set. He couldn't have been happier with them. They held up amazingly well to his riding style. He's since built up a set of Mustangs with DT 240 hubs for another project that he's got going on. And on his recommendation I built a set up with Hope XC hubs and run them with a set of Continental Mountain King 2.2's, with the rim strips, valves and Stans sealant as a tubeless set up, and I couldn't be happier with them. Strong, stiff, reasonably light and less expensive than many more "notable" brands of rims. And easier to set up tubeless than a Stans conversion on a conventional rim. These are all 26" wheels, but I've heard just as many good things about the 29er Mustangs as well.

I don't have a photo to post right now, but I'll try to get one tomorrow for you if you'd like. For the most part they are very nondiscript. Nothing flashy or blingy about them. They just look like an everyday black disc rim, that's all. But they perform like they cost 2 to 3 times more than they do. The weld interface at the rim joint isn't finished as nice as some of the other big names out there. But hey, pretty is as pretty does I always say. If you do decide to go with the TLR Mustangs, DO get the rim strips and valves for them, and give them a try tubeless. I've never seen a rim hold onto a set of conventional non-UST tires like these critters do. I've never popped a bead or burped a tire using the TLR system, unlike some conventional Stans converted rims that I've used in the past. There's only one draw back to these rims. If you are into lightning fast tire changes or tube changes, they're not all that! They can be a bit tough when it comes to that end of things. They fit most tires quite snuggly and don't like to let go of the bead once the bead is set, even if the tire is deflated. Tire levers are a must. And they'll literally scare the crap out of you the first time you air up and set the beads. They seat with a rather loud pop. And in many cases you have to take the tire up to near max pressures to get the beads to seat completely when using tubes. Pretty much a disadvantage when running them tubed. But it works to your advantage when running tubeless, a snugg tight bead is always better for a tubeless set up as mentioned above. Not ideal if you're a racer I would guess.

Bottom line is, I'd recommend them. Whether you run em tubed or tubeless they're a good sturdy rim. :thumbsup: If you race though you might want to consider something easier to change tubes/tires on.

Good Dirt

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's What I was looking for

Thanks for the feedback. I do plan on running tubeless - that (and the weight savings) is the main reason I want to upgrade wheelsets. I'm the type of rider who usually goes over the rock rather than around it. So, I'm looking for durability, as well. I'm racing in the Mid-Atlantic region (masuperseries.com), and we race on mostly hard pack courses. I've always used a 2.1 tire in the past. Any recommendations for a 2.1 tire that works well with this rim?

I picture of these rims would be great.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's What I was looking for

Thanks for the feedback. I do plan on running tubeless - that (and the weight savings) is the main reason I want to upgrade wheelsets. I'm the type of rider who usually goes over the rock rather than around it. So, I'm looking for durability, as well. I'm racing in the Mid-Atlantic region (masuperseries.com), and we race on mostly hard pack courses. I've always used a 2.1 tire in the past. Any recommendations for a 2.1 tire that works well with this rim?

I picture of these rims would be great.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Okay, hrer you go....

Like I said, nothing visually spectacular, just a rim that works. As you can see the valve stem looks pretty much normal. The only thing that I've done with them is removed the silly "warning" stickers that seem to come on everything now days. Like we don't already know this sport is a bit on the risky side!? Like I said, minimal graphics, minimal bling, but they work.

As for tires, I've used Continentals, Panaracers, Kendas, and Maxxis tires. Not sure what these companies offer in 29" though. I've heard good things about the Bontrager Jones XR 29er's But they only come in 1.8 and 2.2/2.25 sizes. But they are reasonably light form my understanding. They come in front and rear specific tread patterns, the 2.25" is for the front and the 2.2 is for the rear. A friend of mine runs them on his Turner Sultan and has been favorably impressed by them, says they roll pretty fast too. Other tires that he's used and liked are the Kenda Small Block 8, says they are scary fast on hardpack, but not the greatest in softer conditions. And one of his favorites is the Maxxis Ignitor. He's in the process of wringing out a set of Schwalbe Racing Ralphs right now. But haven't talked to him since he put those on, so don't know what he thinks.

Anyway, hope this helps you out.

Good Dirt

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why aren't these listed on the Bontrager website?

Does anyone know why the Mustangs aren't on Bontrager's website? How long ago did they come out?

Thanks for the feedback and photos, Squash. That helps a ton.

Anyone else have positive or negative experiences with the Mustang rims? How about lacemine29.com?

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I took mike's recommendation about the rim (I'm 200lbs), and had a set built with Hope Pro II's, Comp spokes and brass nipples.

The wheels have been BULLET PROOF. I've had them on two frames, and Inbred and a
Sultan. I've done ~1500 hard miles. The rims are still true, and have not been touched since they were built.

I haven't touched the rear hub yet either, and I love the sound that it makes.

What more could you want? I'm considering getting another set of Pro II's, but with a Stan's Arch rim. Did Mike mention the Arch rim?

·
No longer 26
3,090 Posts
I have a set of Hayes Superlight hubs (DT240) of the pre-TLR mustang 29er rims. With Stans 26" rim strips they went tubeless easily with Bontrager XR Tires and IRC Mythos II tires. Have not even had to true them after over a year of riding/racing.

Just had my 2nd Hayes rear hub built with the TLR version. Built up to 920 grams total. With my 820 Race TLR front wheel that I have on order I am going to have a nice light tough set up.

G

1 - 9 of 9 Posts