Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've already replaced my stock line comp rear wheel once because of bends. I want to build up a tough wheel on a budget, so I was going to reuse the stock hub. The hub weighs 288g, much less than I expected. It has 108 POE with the 6 paw kit, and is 28 spokes. I've read a 3 cross lace up should make for a strong wheel.

Any feed back on this set up? I'm not 100% sure if these spokes are the best bang for buck with what I'm trying to accomplish.

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
The hub flange gets dented where the spoke comes out of the hole so it'd be better to stick with two-cross since the wheel was built that way. Sticking with two-cross will keep the new spokes aligned in the same dents. Diff between 2x and 3x has virtually no effect on wheel strength on a 28 spoke wheel. Of DT spokes, the Race is what I'd choose.

·
This place needs an enema
15,604 Posts
So I've already replaced my stock line comp rear wheel once because of bends. I want to build up a tough wheel on a budget, so I was going to reuse the stock hub. The hub weighs 288g, much less than I expected. It has 108 POE with the 6 paw kit, and is 28 spokes. I've read a 3 cross lace up should make for a strong wheel.

Any feed back on this set up? I'm not 100% sure if these spokes are the best bang for buck with what I'm trying to accomplish.

Need to know about you (height, weight, bike, trails type, riding style, etc...) as well as which tires and pressures you'll run. At minimum.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm 6', 170lbs geared up. Bike is a Trek Slash. Most rides we pedal up for our downhills. I ride everything from trails with rock gardens to blacks at Angel Fire bike park. I usually run a 2.5 WT DHF front and 2.5 WT Aggressor rear. 27psi rear, 24psi front. I'm an aggressive rider with a moto back ground, so I like jumps and I like to plow over everything. I need a strong setup on a budget.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts