Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
No longer 26
3,090 Posts
2.25 fronts front and back on my Supercal. Mounted on Mustang rims with stans 26" rimstrips. Easier than any of my few 26" installs.

G

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
the ingredient of difficulty in setting up stans seems mostly to be the rim. the new Stans ZTR rims seem to be built with this cool feature that no other 29er rim has...a larger circumference which fit tires MUCH better than almost every other rim.

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
adventuroussoul said:
anyone running the bonty jones xr with stans in them if so were they hard to set initially?
I mounted my XR's last week without any problems (required air compressor). American Classic rims, Stans Standard UST kit (strapping tape and 26" rimstip).

I used two of the front 2.25 XR's for this project:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Is there a reason most of you are using the 26" stan's strip instead of the 29"?
I'm still tempted to try a conversion with my XR's, just wish the sidewalls were a bit beefier..:confused:
slightly of topic, I'm pleasently suprised with the ride of the XR rears on both the front and back....

·
Registered
123 Posts
I mounted up a set of Bontrager Jones ACX tires tubeless to my Stans hoops and after riding for one day on them, the bead stretched and the tire blew off the rim. They sealed up effortlessly, but afte the first blow out happened they would no longer stay on the rim.

·
No longer 26
3,090 Posts
toddre said:
Is there a reason most of you are using the 26" stan's strip instead of the 29"?
I'm still tempted to try a conversion with my XR's, just wish the sidewalls were a bit beefier..:confused:
slightly of topic, I'm pleasently suprised with the ride of the XR rears on both the front and back....
I think it is what Stan recommends for the Botrager Mustang rims. That and it is what I had from my 26er days.

G

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
rensho said:
Are you guys finding the sidewalls on the XR stiff enough when using Stans? Without pumping mine to mid 30s PSI, the rear end always felt like a flat tire.
Seems to me the hit or miss trials with the bonti tires makes me want to shy away from converting them..... maybe I'll give the tubeless tires a shot on Race wheelset?

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
toddre said:
Seems to me the hit or miss trials with the bonti tires makes me want to shy away from converting them..... maybe I'll give the tubeless tires a shot on Race wheelset?
I've only run Stans for the last 3 years. New to the XRs this year, and only 1 yr on 29ers. At 620g, and huge volume, the sidewalls are thin. I hear people liking them with tubes. Just trying to get more thoughts from folks with Stans. I'm 155lbs.
I've tried Nevs, SB8, Ign, Crows, WW, Nanos, Rampages. Next up, Crossmarks. Just need to get some.

·
No longer 26
3,090 Posts
rensho said:
Are you guys finding the sidewalls on the XR stiff enough when using Stans? Without pumping mine to mid 30s PSI, the rear end always felt like a flat tire.
XR 2.25 fronts (front and rear) are my only significant 29er experience so far (less than a year), Running Stans' at 26-28ish front 32ish rear is the sweetspot for me at 185-195#'s geared up.

Was prrobably lower than that last weekend on trails that have a lot of sharp rocks / rock gardens because I forgot my pump and still felt fine.

G

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
Simonster said:
I mounted up a set of Bontrager Jones ACX tires tubeless to my Stans hoops and after riding for one day on them, the bead stretched and the tire blew off the rim. They sealed up effortlessly, but afte the first blow out happened they would no longer stay on the rim.
The ACX's are a known "no-go" when it comes to tubeless. But the XR's don't have the same weak bead issues as the ACX and hence are good to go for tubeless conversions.

BB

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
toddre said:
It depends on the rim you are converting, but the NoTubes.com website says to use the Standard UST 26" strips with the American Classic rims which is why I used them. They also recommend to use the 26" strips for all Bontrager 29" disc only rims.

You can see the recommendations here:

http://www.notubes.com/support_selecting.php

BB

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
rensho said:
Yup. I'm riding the rear (which is a front tire) in the 30 - 32 psi range. Any lower and I get squirm and that mushy flat tire feeling with the XR 2.25 on the rear. The front tire, however, feels fine in the 27 - 30 psi range for me (180's).

BB

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Get Tubeless Ready!

BruceBrown said:
The ACX's are a known "no-go" when it comes to tubeless. But the XR's don't have the same weak bead issues as the ACX and hence are good to go for tubeless conversions.

BB
ACX's are available NOW! No need to try Stan's-ing the old ones.

XR's are on the way...................very soon now!

You can use Super Juice, (Bontrager's recommended sealant) or Stan's and they work fantastic!

·
Beware of Doggerel
665 Posts
I’ve been running the XRs tubeless (two fronts) for a month or so on a set of Bontrager TLR rims with Stans goop. They seat up fine, I just don’t feel comfortable with them. The tires squirm like a 4 year old in a dentists chair. (they squirm alot). I wasn’t happy with them, in terms of squirm, until I had them up around 40psi, YMMV. In general I’ve been using another wheelset with tubes for long rides. I’ve done one long ride with the XRs, and I was nervous the whole time, which is more a function of my personal feelings about homemade tubeless than any kind of real comment about the tires. But objectively, the sidewalls are thin and although the bead seated easily it took a while for the tires themselves to seal up and they still leak down after a month of riding.
Actual real life tubeless tires are hitting the ground as we speak so why not just wait a bit.
Good luck.
Adam

·
Category Winner
6,130 Posts
Wasn't too pleased with the durability of the XR. The low weight is due to the thin sidewalls. I ripped the sidewall on the second ride on something I couldn't even imagine tearing a tire on (a dull tree stub).
I know you can tear any tire eventually, but I want tires that last over tires that are light weight. I finally put an Ignitor on the rear after months of ignored advice, and let's just say I'm getting my share of "I told you so" lately.

·
All bow down to pigeontoe
90 Posts
I've been trying to decide what tire setup to use this weekend for ORAMM and Teamdickey just sealed it. Ignitor front, Crossmark rear. Nothing beats hearing it from a local.

My other choices were the XR's, IRC Mythos, or SMB8. The Maxxis will be used with Stan's Arch rims which have worked great with the Kendas.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.