Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
The Race X Lite are Hugi 240's, the Race Lite are Hugi Onyx.

Dunno what the hubs below that level are, but probably not Hugi, as Bontrager doesn't tout those models as being "Swiss-made" like the Race Lite & X Lite.

·
Uber V Cripp
222 Posts
Mikey said:
The Race X Lite are Hugi 240's, the Race Lite are Hugi Onyx.

Dunno what the hubs below that level are, but probably not Hugi, as Bontrager doesn't tout those models as being "Swiss-made" like the Race Lite & X Lite.
How do you know this?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Try Formula Hubs on Race Disc wheels

jkittlesen said:
On Bontys web site, it seems all disc hubs are similar.

Who does Keith Bontrager outsource these hubs to?

I've heard they're DT Swiss, 240s?, Hugis?, Onyx?

Thanks for any info.
My LBS(a TREK dealer) told me that the hubs on 2002 -2003 RaceDisc wheels were made my Formula

·
Registered
232 Posts
The 2000-2003 RaceLite's are widely known to be Hugi 240's, as they have Hugi's own proprietary "star ratchet" system in the rear hub. I have a set of 2001 RaceLites and have opened the hub.

Last year, I believe, they introduced the Race X-Lite as their new top-of-the-line wheel superceding the RaceLite. Bontrager's website lists them as having "Ultralight Swiss-made cartridge-bearing hubs with star ratchet drive system" which can only be Hugi 240's.

The RaceLite then got "downgraded" to "Hubs are Swiss made, fully serviceable, and have a combination of needle and cartridge bearings". This describes the Hugi Onyx, Hugi's lower model from the 240, from what I've read on Hugi's website.

When you then drop down to the "Race" model you get "Hubs are cartridge bearing design... Front hub has oversize cartridge bearings and aluminum axle with adjustable pre-load", so these can be made by anybody.

·
Registered
314 Posts
But what about DISC hubs? RACE DISC ?

Mikey said:
The 2000-2003 RaceLite's are widely known to be Hugi 240's, as they have Hugi's own proprietary "star ratchet" system in the rear hub. I have a set of 2001 RaceLites and have opened the hub.

Last year, I believe, they introduced the Race X-Lite as their new top-of-the-line wheel superceding the RaceLite. Bontrager's website lists them as having "Ultralight Swiss-made cartridge-bearing hubs with star ratchet drive system" which can only be Hugi 240's.

The RaceLite then got "downgraded" to "Hubs are Swiss made, fully serviceable, and have a combination of needle and cartridge bearings". This describes the Hugi Onyx, Hugi's lower model from the 240, from what I've read on Hugi's website.

When you then drop down to the "Race" model you get "Hubs are cartridge bearing design... Front hub has oversize cartridge bearings and aluminum axle with adjustable pre-load", so these can be made by anybody.
Yes, my rim-brake RACELITES(I have 2 sets) have Hugi 240 hubs(I paid less than 60% of the cost of just the hubs for each set- new). But I believe that the question is what hubs are used for Bonti disc wheels and RACE DISC wheels to be more specific.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mikey said:

Bontrager mailed me the info and you're right on the $$, Formula makes the Race and Select hubs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.