Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
washedup said:
Living in the mid-atlantic and having a healthy appetite for the jaged, chucky rocks native to the area, I loved the beefy casing. Its rare that I get more than a month out of a tire here. Weight is not an issue if I have confidence that I am not going end up with a gaper and this tire instilled that kind of confidence. Many of the trails I ride are slow, extremely technical, with lots of trials type moves to make so I run low pressure. I think of my tires as I do suspension. If I bottom out between 1 and 5 times on a ride, I am at the right pressure. Props to Bonty for making a tire with a casing worthy of riding in this area. On that note, there are some other tires that have recently come availible with beefy casings that I have yet to give a spin.

On the downside, the tread compound seems hard and the side knobs unsupported which leaves them prone to giving out if I am on an off-camber rock or pushing hard into a turn. I find that while I have confidence that I will not slice this tire, I have absolutely no confidence in the tread compound or ability to corner. In my opinion, the worthless tread about evens out stellar casing. As a front, the tire does roll fast, but would be skeptical as to its ability to hook up as a rear. I weigh in at 145lbs and tried this tire for about a month at pressures between 12 and 18 lbs on a Flow front.
I am your weight. I found that although I like the smooth ride quality at low PSI where I occasionally bottom against the rim, low PSI makes them wash out in corners, knobs squirm on off camber rocks, etc.

Pump it firm and it corners great, whether you lean it a lot or a little. Big difference. But I ride in dry rocky and sometimes loose conditions mostly.

For low PSI to perform well with trials type hoping on sharp rocks, etc., a two ply sidewall is the way so maybe this is not the tire for you.

Its not as heavy as others have indicated. I have the tubeless Team issue which is 880g

·
another bozo on the bus
1,244 Posts
I dont even bother with the team issue stuff. I got one by accident and it didnt last long. I havent found a tire with a thinker casing than the FR3 exp. Great volume too. The 29.4 tread and volume look promising even though the sidewall seems a bit thinner than the FR3.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Natedogz said:
Turveyd, Thanks for the update. What are your opinions on the right and wrong terrain for this tire?

More about amount of Mud, dry ground it's useless, light mud / wet was fine, anything slightly sticky and yet again useless,

Made the steering like a barge to, where as the 29-3 quickens up the steering and steers positively in in thick mud.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I agree with another poster in that if at the right PSI it hhoks up well up front- too low and gets squirmy. In the rear I didn't like the traction climbing even in "traction" direction. I personally like the rubber compound as I can appreciably see wear in a gradual way- no chunk, not hard and shiney either. But it still weighs a kg in non-team issue version......

Anyone have a suggestion as to a similarly agressive tread patterned AND tubeless ready AND lighter weight tire as a replacement for this FR3 once it is done? TLR RR? Other?

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Don't like the idea of a 70a Centre and only 60 outter on that Spec tire personally, anyone got any volume measurements, can't get them anywhere other than ordered direct :(

·
Vaginatarian
5,685 Posts
92gli said:
http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=58035

The 2.4 is claimed 800g. I think somebody weighed a few and they came in around 830.
Im running the purgatory up front and the FR3 reversed in back, I ruined an FR3 , and was having isues with a FR3 in front ( not much clearance) so i swapped the FR3 to rear and put the Purgatory up front. Pretty amazed at the purgatory, it doesnt look like much but I havent found a single thing not to like. great traction in NH nastiness.
The FR3 is also good, best lasting tire for the rear Ive found going tubeless, excellent rolling, decent traction, I would trade a bit of rolling for a bit of traction though, maybe make that center compound a bit softer, its not bad , but it could be perfect.

·
SSolo, on your left!
2,577 Posts
Enel said:
I run the rear reversed. I guess that is the traction direction.
Yes and thanks for answer.

twowheelsdown2002 said:
I ran the tire reversed on back.

I did not like the climbing traction, so I even resorted to a long sit down in the garage with a 6 pack and an exacto knife and I cut little sections out of the center strip so it would grab a bit better. Way too time consuming for no real gain.

I found that the tire had very wierd turning characteristics. If you leaned it a bit it was ok, but it felt weird in transition. Slow speed maneuvering where you are turning, but not leaning much made it feel like it did not steer, then it suddenly would when it was leaned some more. Not confidence inspiring at all.
Thanks too. I've found that electronics circuit board type of diagonal flush cutters work great for tire trimming and are alot less work than razor blade or X-Acto knife:

http://www.adafruit.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=152

http://www.google.com/search?q=elec...esult_group&ct=title&resnum=3&ved=0CCcQrQQwAg

Turveyd said:
More about amount of Mud, dry ground it's useless, light mud / wet was fine, anything slightly sticky and yet again useless,

Made the steering like a barge to, where as the 29-3 quickens up the steering and steers positively in in thick mud.
Assume you mean 29-3 TLR for the front?

Agree that too low pressure makes any tire squirmy imo....I've had great tires, that when run too low were very comfy, but the side-hilling and steering was scary...inflated to proper pressure for my terrain, weight and rim width and the tires were great handling once again.

·
SSolo, on your left!
2,577 Posts
Turveyd said:
Don't like the idea of a 70a Centre and only 60 outter on that Spec tire personally, anyone got any volume measurements, can't get them anywhere other than ordered direct :(
Dual tread compound works good for me. Purgatory measures 2.110" wide at casing @ about 28 psi front and Captain measures 2.120" wide at casing @ about 32 psi rear....on my HT. These are mounted on Mavic TN719 disc rims:

FEATURES
Maxtal
SUP
Traditional drilling
Single eyelet
Clincher
Disc

DIMENSIONS
ETRTO compatible size: 622 x 19
Recommended tire widths: 1.50 to 2.30
Valve hole diameter: 8.5 mm, supplied with valve adapter
Recommended nipple length: 12 mm
Recommended rim tape: 622 x 20 x 0.6
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

These are pretty narrow rims imo at 19mm inside width but they came on the bike and have been pretty reliable.

·
change is good
3,194 Posts
I like this tire especially on my rigid. Cushy and tough. Not light, but no worries about it flatting easily. It is a all-rounder so it doesn't do anything exceptionally well. It's a little faster than a Rampage but it offers a little less traction.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts