Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
A hopped on pop.
1,397 Posts
so, for a rigid 29er ss guy, which tire?

ardent 2.4" or fr-3 team issue?

going to be mounted up front, tubeless.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Kam, trying to get a good ride in tonight to try out the FR3 in forest front only useage ( got a 69er ), its resistance to turn worries me but it'll be great on rocky fast but straight descents maybe.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Finally got out for a ride on it, grounds dried up alot since Sunday, very dry sticky mud making it hard to compare, not instantly in love with like the 29-3 but Comparing to....

FR3 feels to have less volume, wouldn't really want to run it any softer, matches up with the internal measurement though.
FR3 is much wider and as such has oddles of grip, but steering precision is less and steers slower, 29-3 is a great tread pattern for that though.
FR3 actually feels to roll slightly faster ( Front only ) than the 29-3 likely nothing in it, which is cool!!

I need some more rides on it and some rocky rides which is where I think it'll shine through, I think it'll stick to wet rocks like nothing else.

Will it be a fit and forget all rounder for me or just Rocks / Trail centre useage ?? find out soon!!

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Only got a 69er so can't test on the rear :( until later in the year when I build up my 29er HT then I'll consider it, more likely a Ardent 2.4 though on the rear and this up front!!

·
Missouri sucks...
2,305 Posts
Any more updates? There's not a lot out there about this tire. I'm hoping it's not a dud since I already ordered two of them;p

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'm using them front and rear on a hard tail. Very good AM tires.

Even with the center ridge, climbing and braking traction are good. Maybe because there are gaps in the center ridge?

Cornering is great. I think they got the volume just right. No squirm if you get the pressure right. Good sidewalls I'll take these over a lighter, higher volume tire.

Team issue, tubeless, is worth the extra $

·
Registered
859 Posts
I've got about 140 miles on mine, running it in the rear (I run a 29-3 in the front). Most of the riding has been on frozen ground, through snow, etc. In snow, it has far better traction than the 29-3 that used to be in the rear.

This past weekend, I was (legally) riding a local construction site (with the permission of the owner, a client of mine). Some areas had the frost coming out of the ground and I did encounter some mud/clay. I was greatly impressed with its performance under those conditions--one of the best mud tires I've ever used. I agree with the comments above...the center rib is good for a decent ride, and the aggressive side knobs are really helpful everywhere else. I do wish it were a bit lighter...I'm running the Team issue, which is less than the 1kg reported above, but still plenty beefy.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
I tried them and was not all that thrilled with them.

The thick sidewalls are nice but they are pretty heavy. I did not feel like they corner on Arizona terrain as well as a Rampage.

They are tough. I tore a hole in a Fire XC that I had on the rear, so I put one of these on back. No worries about tearing the sidewalls on them.

But I thought the climbing traction sucked as a rear tire, and used on back it wore out very fast.

·
Powered by ice cream.
6,355 Posts
twowheelsdown2002 said:
I tried them and was not all that thrilled with them.

The thick sidewalls are nice but they are pretty heavy. I did not feel like they corner on Arizona terrain as well as a Rampage.

They are tough. I tore a hole in a Fire XC that I had on the rear, so I put one of these on back. No worries about tearing the sidewalls on them.

But I thought the climbing traction sucked as a rear tire, and used on back it wore out very fast.
My findings are vastly different. Much better front traction than a Rampage, many times more durable. Tons of climbing grip in the rear.

Run tubeless no problem. One of my favorite tires right now.

·
SSolo, on your left!
2,577 Posts
Enel and Twowheelsdown, which direction are you runnning these on the rear, traction or speed? Great looking tire that I considered for wet weather front tire, but it's too heavy for me...even Team Issue....a 650-700 gram version would interest me greatly! The rubber seemed really nice and sticky and love the broken center rib for faster rolling and maybe better directional stability? My Purgatory 2.2 has been great up front, but would love to try these if they weighed less.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Mine varied depending on the exact conditions of the trail, in the right conditons I was flying down stuff without a care in the world, in the wrong they are awful, guess that middle strip works in some terrain and fails miserably in other types.

Only tried on the front!!

·
SSolo, on your left!
2,577 Posts
Turveyd, Thanks for the update. What are your opinions on the right and wrong terrain for this tire?

·
another bozo on the bus
1,244 Posts
Living in the mid-atlantic and having a healthy appetite for the jaged, chucky rocks native to the area, I loved the beefy casing. Its rare that I get more than a month out of a tire here. Weight is not an issue if I have confidence that I am not going end up with a gaper and this tire instilled that kind of confidence. Many of the trails I ride are slow, extremely technical, with lots of trials type moves to make so I run low pressure. I think of my tires as I do suspension. If I bottom out between 1 and 5 times on a ride, I am at the right pressure. Props to Bonty for making a tire with a casing worthy of riding in this area. On that note, there are some other tires that have recently come availible with beefy casings that I have yet to give a spin.

On the downside, the tread compound seems hard and the side knobs unsupported which leaves them prone to giving out if I am on an off-camber rock or pushing hard into a turn. I find that while I have confidence that I will not slice this tire, I have absolutely no confidence in the tread compound or ability to corner. In my opinion, the worthless tread about evens out stellar casing. As a front, the tire does roll fast, but would be skeptical as to its ability to hook up as a rear. I weigh in at 145lbs and tried this tire for about a month at pressures between 12 and 18 lbs on a Flow front.

·