Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Bikes in jeans
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Bontrager Privateer that I've had for about 6 years now. I love the bike, but I need to get a new for. Right now it has the stock fork, with the threaded headset in it. From readin the bontrager fork post Im assuming that I have the 1" and not the 1 1/8" tube.

What is the easiest way to upgrade the fork? I read the bontrager fork post and peicing together a fork from a few different forks doesn't seem reasonable right now, and I dont have access to any 5000 lb presses right now, so I'd rather not go that rout. Is it possible to just change to a threadless headset and a threadless fork? Does anyone still make a 1" fork and headset, or do I need to start looking to go down the custom road?

Any advice would be appriciated.

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
Privateers were Bonti-Treks

jestep said:
I have a Bontrager Privateer that I've had for about 6 years now. I love the bike, but I need to get a new for. Right now it has the stock fork, with the threaded headset in it. From readin the bontrager fork post Im assuming that I have the 1" and not the 1 1/8" tube.

What is the easiest way to upgrade the fork? I read the bontrager fork post and peicing together a fork from a few different forks doesn't seem reasonable right now, and I dont have access to any 5000 lb presses right now, so I'd rather not go that rout. Is it possible to just change to a threadless headset and a threadless fork? Does anyone still make a 1" fork and headset, or do I need to start looking to go down the custom road?

Any advice would be appriciated.

I'd double check the fork. Not all privateers had 1 inch setups. The Santa Cruz Bontis were, as far as I know, all 1 inch setups. If you're lucky it's 1 1/8 and no hassles beyond too much travel, otherwise...

Look at Marz's forks. They still offer 1" setups.
Look on E-Bay for Judys or other forks.

Otherwise might want to contact Tom Teesdale.

For headsets - Lots of 1" threadless still available. Some roadie bikes are still made that way. I know you can get a 1" King. Would you ever need another headset? ;)

I understand because the 'Vega I'm riding is a SHORT travel 1" threadless setup. I have to worry about the steerer tube, then the travel. Not many forks that are setup or can be converted to 48-63mm these days. (I'd love an old Amp F-3 Carbon for the front of that bike.)

JmZ

·
Registered
73 Posts
The only Privateers with 1 1/8 headtubes were the last year of production. Those were the ones with the multiple color scheme frames - front one color, back different color, and panels in between.

·
Bikes in jeans
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, Mine is the solid color, so I have the 1" steerer tube.

I found some marz forks with the 1" tube. Just to make sure, All I need is to switch to a 1" threadless headset and stem, and get the fork with the 1" tube.

Also, I was looking at headsets. I want the Chris King but I don't think I can justify the price. Has anyone had any experience with the FSA or Cane Creek headsets. Im looking at the FSA Orbit XL2 or the Cane Creek S2. I'll take any other recommendations into consideratoin, but I would like to keep the headset under $50 if possible.

Thanks for Posting

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
jestep said:
Ok, Mine is the solid color, so I have the 1" steerer tube.

I found some marz forks with the 1" tube. Just to make sure, All I need is to switch to a 1" threadless headset and stem, and get the fork with the 1" tube.

Also, I was looking at headsets. I want the Chris King but I don't think I can justify the price. Has anyone had any experience with the FSA or Cane Creek headsets. Im looking at the FSA Orbit XL2 or the Cane Creek S2. I'll take any other recommendations into consideratoin, but I would like to keep the headset under $50 if possible.

Thanks for Posting
Yes, 1" threadless version of a fork, the headset and stem will be all you need, assuming you have v-brakes and not canti brakes. You can also get a shim for the 1" steerer and use a 1 1/8" stem, if you're so inclined. Has worked fine for me and gives you more options for stems.
I haven't used the FSA (I believe it gets good reviews though), but have good luck with the S2 & C2 headsets. I recently bought an s-pro on closeout and haven't had any issues with it yet, but it's only been 6 months on my singlespeed.
I used a 70mm travel 'zoke Z2 on a Bontrager and loved it. 80mm travel will probably slow down the steering a bit, but I don't know if you can reduce travel on a newer 80mm 'zoke.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts