Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I am tired of flats. I have been replacing way too many tubes because of thorns and the like. I have a hi fi 29 with bontrager duster Tlr system. I am currentl running them with tubes because all the dealers are out of the tlr rim strips needed to convert. I believe i need new tires as well. I am looking for a reccomendation on tires that work well with the bontrager tlr system. I saw specialized has a 2bliss product line. I am a 20 year cross country rider. I ride northeast hardpack from connnecticut as far north as Kingdom trails VT. I prefer wider (over 2.0, under 2.3 due to clearance issues) tires and will take traction over fast rolling any day. Long story short.

1. Can you reccomend a good all mountain tlr ready tire to use with the sytem

2. anybody know an online source for tlr rim strips.

3. My other bike (fisher cobia 29er) has non tubeless rims. Do they sell a rim strip that will seal off these rims?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
great

I like the look of the specialized captain. I'll look at reviews and find a price online. I'll check out the stans rim strips too. i'm not adventurous enough to do ghetto. I want to use approved tubless systems for safety

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,471 Posts
Bonti....

Sorry for pointing out the painfully obvious but Bontrager TLR tires are specifically made to go with the TLR rims.

I've been using the Bonti OSB TLR rims and tires for years. I've been riding over 15 years and have yet to find a more fail safe mtb component system.

Bonti OSB TLR rims with Bonti TLR tires on King hubs... nothing else comes close and I've tried all other systems. I own Stan's rims and that tubless set up does not even come close to the Bonti system in terms of ease of setup and reliability. Stan's stuff is OK but is pretty much a duck tape and tie wire affair if you ask me. (Admittedly I've never tried a Stan's rim - Stan's tire combo.)

Order directly from the Bontrager Website.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
tmccrohon said:
I like the look of the specialized captain. I'll look at reviews and find a price online. I'll check out the stans rim strips too. i'm not adventurous enough to do ghetto. I want to use approved tubless systems for safety
Stans rim strips are not an approved tubeless system. Too many variables for it to work reliably with every tire/rim combo.

It is worth waiting for the TLR strips and using TLR/Tubeless Ready tires.

Online only from the Bonty site.

I do not know what rims are on your other bike.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Bontrager's website shows they are out of the TLR strips but give them a call anyways. My LBS called for me and they were able to locate around 1600 strips in their warehouse (they were listed as inventory in the wheel department instead of accessories where they are sold separately). Picking mine up today.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts