Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been using the Mavic 819s for year- never had problems mounting UST or TR tires. I recently built up a new wheelset and decided to try the Dusters. They built up a bit more nervously than the D819s but all was well till it came time to mount the tires. Did one Schwalbe Albert (2.25) and a Crossmark (2.25) and they were both pure hell to put on.

The Albert was used on the 819 as well- still gave problems on the Duster. What worries me now is if something happens on an epic ride and I have to put in a tube- I'll be up a creek.

Have any of you used the Dusters and have any tips? It doesn't have the deep V channel that the 819 has so even getting the first tire bead on is tough and there is nowhere for it to "settle" while I put the other side on.

Any tips will be appreciated. Since going tubeless, I have never had to put in tube but one never knows. I could be a 6-7 hour walk away from the trailhead.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Flyer said:
Been using the Mavic 819s for year- never had problems mounting UST or TR tires. I recently built up a new wheelset and decided to try the Dusters. They built up a bit more nervously than the D819s but all was well till it came time to mount the tires. Did one Schwalbe Albert (2.25) and a Crossmark (2.25) and they were both pure hell to put on.

The Albert was used on the 819 as well- still gave problems on the Duster. What worries me now is if something happens on an epic ride and I have to put in a tube- I'll be up a creek.

Have any of you used the Dusters and have any tips? It doesn't have the deep V channel that the 819 has so even getting the first tire bead on is tough and there is nowhere for it to "settle" while I put the other side on.

Any tips will be appreciated. Since going tubeless, I have never had to put in tube but one never knows. I could be a 6-7 hour walk away from the trailhead.
I have been using the Rhythm wheels for more than a year and find them easier to mount tires on that the 819.

Just finishing a wheelset with Dusters and expecting the rim strips next week. Will let you know how tire fitting goes.

·
Registered
9,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Shiggy. It never takes me more than a couple of minutes to mount a tire on the 819s. I have used so many different tires too- including those very Alberts on my 819. Hopefully you will figure out a mounting trick I (and hopefully others) can benefit from.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Flyer said:

Got my Duster wheels built. Mounted a Kenda Dread Tread UST 1.80 and Maxxis Crossmark UST 2.25, both new. No problem getting the bead in the center drop. The first side of the Maxxis was a bit tight but not hard to mount. Both tires aired up fine.

Do you have the Symmetric Rhythm rim strip? There is also a narrower symmetric strip.

·
Registered
9,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, Shiggy. I'm not sure which rimstrip I have though I am sure the shop owner thought they were made for the Dusters. The tires don't leak air so that's good. I'll try to switch out the Crossmark/Albert with 2.25 Nobby Nics tomorrow if I find some time. I'm almost dreading this but at least I have a backup bike if I have to drop the wheels off at the shop and let them be tortured. :)

If my tires are so hard to get on, the only thing I can think off is that the rimstrip is different.

·
I wonder why?
552 Posts
I've got Duster's with the Bontrager strip and have mounted Big Betty's, Alberts, Racing Ralphs and small block 8's with no problems, as far as getting them on the rim. Mounted them all by hand, without levers. All tires were new.

The Bontrager Strip has a deeper center channel and you have to get the bead into when mounting or removing.

I've run all tires tubeless except the small block 8's. I had to run the Alberts for a day with tubes before they would air up with tubeless. I found that I need to use at least 60 psi to set the beads (over the ridge on the rim strip). The all really popped into place. Once they have been mounted once and ridden a bit, they air quite easily the second time.

i1dry?

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Flyer said:
I may take them in to the Trek shop to see if they know what the strip should look like and to make sure I have the correct ones on there.
The correct strip is wider than the strip for Race Lite and Mustang rims. Installed you should barely be able to tell it is not part of the rim. The narrower strip will have a slight gap to the inside sidewall of the rim.

BTW I need to thank Mikesee of lacemine29.com for getting the rims and strips for me.

·
I wonder why?
552 Posts
Flyer said:
I may take them in to the Trek shop to see if they know what the strip should look like and to make sure I have the correct ones on there.
Hey Flyer,

Here's some pics of what the Bontrager strips should look like.

i1dry?

Attachments

·
Registered
9,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Interesting Update

I made a rookie mistake and didn't check the to make sure the rim strip was installed the correct way. It was on backwards. So I flipped it and it was about the same effort as the 819s to install the Nobby Nic this time...maybe slightly tougher but the strip was probably a bit misshapen by now....well, that or a tire defect maybe?

Here is the crazy part- I inflated the tire to maybe 55 (I normally do 45) to make sure the beads locked and left it hanging on a stand (in my garage). In a couple of minutes, it blew off the rim and scared the daylights out of me. I checked the tire and the bead had stretched and it was too easy to re-install. tried to take the other bead out and could not. It seemed like it shrank and after 15 minutes, I had to cut the tire and carefully cut the bead as well. Finally, the bead snapped audibly and the flow apart at the cut point.

With one expensive Nobby Nic down for the count, I put the second one on. I inflated this one to 40 psi (three pops) and have left it in the garage. Hopefully, it will hold air for a few hours and I can put some Stan's sealant in this evening.

So I'm glad that I can change a tire on the trail with this rim (soapy water recommended highly) but am a bit puzzled that the Nobby Nic blew off at around 50-55 psi. I'm definitely carrying a tiny bottle of soapy water on long rides from now on. The Nobby Nic has replaced a 2.25 UST Crossmark- good and fast tires but not good enough...not digging the combination of ramped second-row knobs along with the almost-continuous center ridge.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Flyer said:
I made a rookie mistake and didn't check the to make sure the rim strip was installed the correct way. It was on backwards. So I flipped it and it was about the same effort as the 819s to install the Nobby Nic this time...maybe slightly tougher but the strip was probably a bit misshapen by now....well, that or a tire defect maybe?

Here is the crazy part- I inflated the tire to maybe 55 (I normally do 45) to make sure the beads locked and left it hanging on a stand (in my garage). In a couple of minutes, it blew off the rim and scared the daylights out of me. I checked the tire and the bead had stretched and it was too easy to re-install. tried to take the other bead out and could not. It seemed like it shrank and after 15 minutes, I had to cut the tire and carefully cut the bead as well. Finally, the bead snapped audibly and the flow apart at the cut point.

With one expensive Nobby Nic down for the count, I put the second one on. I inflated this one to 40 psi (three pops) and have left it in the garage. Hopefully, it will hold air for a few hours and I can put some Stan's sealant in this evening.

So I'm glad that I can change a tire on the trail with this rim (soapy water recommended highly) but am a bit puzzled that the Nobby Nic blew off at around 50-55 psi. I'm definitely carrying a tiny bottle of soapy water on long rides from now on. The Nobby Nic has replaced a 2.25 UST Crossmark- good and fast tires but not good enough...not digging the combination of ramped second-row knobs along with the almost-continuous center ridge.
Installed backwards? The proper Duster/Rhythm rim strip is symmetrical. The only way to install it incorrectly would be inside out.

I have a pair of asymmetrical rim strips in my Duster 29 rims and I can not mount a tubeless ready tire on it.

·
Registered
9,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't know what rim strip I have then but it (tire) was tight as heck when I tried to install it again but when I flipped the strip around, the tire was less tight and it took maybe 5 mins of work to get it on- still very tight but I managed. When i looked at the strip on the rim the first tme, it looked like it had a mm or so left on one side and was pushed up to the edge on the other. When I flipped it around, it fit almost perfectly. There was a 3-4 inch area on the edge of the strip that was curled up a mm or two but I did what I could with my hands to flatten it a bit. I did not look to see if the rim strip was symmetrical but assumed it was since it worked much easier when I flipped it. Oh well, it was easier when I flipped it around so regardless of a placebo effect, it worked ;)

As far as the rim goes, the specs are great and it is definitely lighter than the 819 but also less stiff. I'll bang it aorund here in Colorado and see how it holds up this season. The 819 rims do well here but it was time to try something new. So far, the rims have seen some rough and fast trails. I'll check how true they are next weekend.

My other bike has a similar wheelset (CK/DT Supercomps) but with 819 rims and I'll run those alongside these.

·
I wonder why?
552 Posts
Flyer said:

If you actually have the "Duster" strips they have a raised area (what I call a "bead lock"). Once you air up the tire and the bead slips over this ridge it is impossible to get the tire off without pushing the bead back over the ridge. It takes a bit of force with both thumbs to push the bead into the center channel (all the way around the tire); the tire is then easy to remove.

I'd check the calibration on whatever you are using to inflate the tires. I regularly use at least 60 psi (with a compressor) to initially air up my tire (to set the bead) then reduce to 24 - 30 psi for riding.

I have used this method with the Duster rims with 2.25 Alberts Snakeskin (both with tubes and tubeless with Stan's goop); 2.25 Nobby Nic Tubeless; 2.4 Nobby Nic Snakeskin (tubeless with Stan's goop); and 2.4 Big Bettys (tubeless with Stan's goop). The Nobby NIc Tubeless tires required a bit more effort to mount (I use a tire lever to get the bead over the rim for the last few inches), the others were all mounted by hand.

I have found that the Schwalbe tires air up tubeless more easily than any other tire that I have tried.

i1dry?

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Ive got some Bontrager Race X lite rims and i can't wait to get rid of them. Even with normal tyres it is just impossible to mount a tyre without having the bead and rim covered in some kind of lube. Then try a UST tyre - impossible couldn't get the last 10 inches of tyre on the rim at all.

I truly hate Bontrager rims now as it's useless if you puncture in the field and cant get the tyres off/on.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Potentially not a no-brainer rim like the 819. It isn't as stiff (while building or on the trail) and you have to deal with a strip instead of having a sealed spoke bed. It is wider and lighter and I'll compare them to the 819 over the next couple of months but any shenanigans and they will be kicked out in favor of Old Faithful. They were definitely harder to mount tires on. I do like the extra width but wish it weighed another 30-50 grams with a bit more stiffness.

·
Registered
9,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I re-installed the rim-strip and put that new UST Nobby Nic on. Unlike the past, the new Nobby Nic leaked quite a bit of air each night (from 45 to maybe 20) but I didn't put sealant in. I always leave it for a night or two first. I put some Notubes sealant in today and aired it up to a bit over 40..will check tomorrow morning. Also put another older wheelset (819s/Hope XCs) on the Hardtail and put two tires on those. The 819s are definitely more "friendly" to me and they always seat tires easily but the Dusters are not too bad once the rim strip is on properly. My rim strip isn't perfect so I really need to get it lined up as well as possible.

I'll check them tomorrow morning and see how they do after the ride. I want to get them 100% done for my long ride this weekend...5+ hours and hopefully 3,000 plus feet of climbing at around 10,000 feet. :)

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Tiffster said:
Ive got some Bontrager Race X lite rims and i can't wait to get rid of them. Even with normal tyres it is just impossible to mount a tyre without having the bead and rim covered in some kind of lube. Then try a UST tyre - impossible couldn't get the last 10 inches of tyre on the rim at all.

I truly hate Bontrager rims now as it's useless if you puncture in the field and cant get the tyres off/on.
The Duster/Rhythm is nothing like the RXL in mounting tires.

·
I wonder why?
552 Posts
Flyer said:
I re-installed the rim-strip and put that new UST Nobby Nic on. Unlike the past, the new Nobby Nic leaked quite a bit of air each night (from 45 to maybe 20) but I didn't put sealant in. I always leave it for a night or two first. I put some Notubes sealant in today and aired it up to a bit over 40..will check tomorrow morning. Also put another older wheelset (819s/Hope XCs) on the Hardtail and put two tires on those. The 819s are definitely more "friendly" to me and they always seat tires easily but the Dusters are not too bad once the rim strip is on properly. My rim strip isn't perfect so I really need to get it lined up as well as possible.

I'll check them tomorrow morning and see how they do after the ride. I want to get them 100% done for my long ride this weekend...5+ hours and hopefully 3,000 plus feet of climbing at around 10,000 feet. :)
Strange that you are leaking air with the UST Nobby Nic. Mine aired up no problem (without Stan's goop) with virtually no air loss over the past few weeks. If you are using 45 psi to initially air, I don't think you will get the bead to set fully (as has been my experience). With the Bontrager strips, I've found that I have to use at least 60 psi to get the bead to set (with virtually any tire).

Further to Bluemountain's comment on the stiffness of the Duster rims, I have found that laced to I9's the wheelset is one of the stiffest that I have ever ridden. Significantly stiffer than the wheelset on my Motolite (Velocity VXC, Sapim CXRay, Kings), or any Mavic wheelset that I have used.

IMO/experience, the stiffness of any wheel/rim will be determined by the build/spoke tension (skill of the builder).:)

i1dry?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.