Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
I measured the distance few times and came up with an average of 539.5mm. I repeated my method for measuring on a DT Swiss XR4.1D and compared it with DT's own measurements, these corresponded with my own.

I built up a pair if wheels using the Duster, the spoke length was about right. The 535mm measurement on the Bontrager rim sticker seems way off. If in doubt measure.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Gee Up said:
I measured the distance few times and came up with an average of 539.5mm. I repeated my method for measuring on a DT Swiss XR4.1D and compared it with DT's own measurements, these corresponded with my own.

I built up a pair if wheels using the Duster, the spoke length was about right. The 535mm measurement on the Bontrager rim sticker seems way off. If in doubt measure.
I used 535 for my spoke calculations and they turned out spot on.

·
Registered
30 Posts
shiggy said:
I used 535 for my spoke calculations and they turned out spot on.
Somehow I knew that I was going to get that reply.

The ends of my spokes are a fraction of a mm above the slot at the end the nipple, which is the point to which I aligned the end of each of the two spokes I used for measuring.

By the way Shiggy, how did you find the rim to build?

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Gee Up said:
Somehow I knew that I was going to get that reply.

The ends of my spokes are a fraction of a mm above the slot at the end the nipple, which is the point to which I aligned the end of each of the two spokes I used for measuring.

By the way Shiggy, how did you find the rim to build?
At what tension? I usually build with high tension (120-125 Kgf) and like to have the spoke reach from flush with the bottom of the slot to not quite to the end of the nipple. If the nipple has reached this point at ~100KgF it will usually bottom out before I get to 120.

ERD is measured at the base of the nipple head in most cases. Mavic and DT do measure like you do.

They were a little fussy around the weld. Fine otherwise.

·
Registered
30 Posts
shiggy said:
At what tension? I usually build with high tension (120-125 Kgf) and like to have the spoke reach from flush with the bottom of the slot to not quite to the end of the nipple. If the nipple has reached this point at ~100KgF it will usually bottom out before I get to 120.

ERD is measured at the base of the nipple head in most cases. Mavic and DT do measure like you do.

They were a little fussy around the weld. Fine otherwise.
I used a tension similar to the one that you used. I was following instructions from Roger Musson's book, including the chapter on measuring rims. This explains why the measurements of my DT Swiss rim correspond with those stated by DT Swiss, but my Duster measurements are different from Bontrager's own.

Yes, I found that same problem with the rim around the weld.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.