Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Trying to put canti brakes on my 1994 Bonty, rear. There are no bosses on the rear stays, only holes to install the boss (is that what they are called?). Any source for these? My bike shop cannot find any.

·
Registered
5,985 Posts
Boy named SSue said:
I got a set from Bontrager directly a year or so back. Give them a try.
Did you get "bosses" or "bolts"? Bontrager MTBs (at least the ones that I've owned) do not have rear bosses. A long bolt holds the rear brakes in place instead.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think its bosses or studs

I currently have bolts that screw in, holding crappy Tri-align II cantis. I got some Avid Shortys to install but could only do the front since my Tange rigid fork has the boss/stud but the read does not. My shop says I need to screw in the boss/stud and then install the Shorty over top of that.

·
'Calm Down'
849 Posts
Here's an old thread asking the same question:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=8928

And here's a photo (not very good) of what you're looking for:

jw

jimmy said:
Trying to put canti brakes on my 1994 Bonty, rear. There are no bosses on the rear stays, only holes to install the boss (is that what they are called?). Any source for these? My bike shop cannot find any.

·
Registered
995 Posts
They are still available, and you'll pay a LOT less if you call around older big-city bike shops. They make em for $5pr for any sorry chap whose had the unfortunate luck of snapping off a canti stud. I forget what the mfg was tho.

Blasphemy, I know, but I bored & tapped mine for a pair of standard 8mm ti studs, and now I can run grafton speed controllers without (as much) cursing. I do like knowing they won't corrode and/or split like the ones they replaced, plus they're a bit more solid than that puny bolt. Noticably? Of course not.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
laffeaux said:
Did you get "bosses" or "bolts"? Bontrager MTBs (at least the ones that I've owned) do not have rear bosses. A long bolt holds the rear brakes in place instead.

I got the sleeve that the bolt runs through that would be the boss on any other bike. I got my bolts from a great store called The Screw Shop. They have every bolt or screw you could ever need and sadly no t-shirts.

·
Registered
5,985 Posts
flyingsuperpetis said:
Blasphemy, I know, but I bored & tapped mine for a pair of standard 8mm ti studs, and now I can run grafton speed controllers without (as much) cursing. I do like knowing they won't corrode and/or split like the ones they replaced, plus they're a bit more solid than that puny bolt. Noticably? Of course not.
Not a bad idea... I tried installing a set of Avid Ultimate direct pull brakes on my Race Lite, and it will not work with the stock Bontrager set-up. I forget what the issue was exactly, but the set up would not work (the arms were not held on securely). I have an Ultimate on the front, and a Avid Mag on the rear as a result. Real bosses would fix that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts