Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. So, I've found a few of these frames around and was wondering what the story is on them--are they dirt jump, street, or race frames? Any good insight on them?

Thanks,

cliff

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
cliffjumper said:
Hey all. So, I've found a few of these frames around and was wondering what the story is on them--are they dirt jump, street, or race frames? Any good insight on them?

Thanks,

cliff
Most likely they are dirt jump frames. Ryan Nyquist's sponsor prior to Haro was Bontrager. He's from Los Gatos so the sponsorship deal was one of proximity. He was on an orange Bontrager first time I saw a photo of him. They should be pretty nice frames and made in Santa Cruz. Where are the brake mounts? That will be a good indication if the frame is for racing or dirt/street.

·
In FTF We Trust
1,815 Posts
Could be either

It's likely they're Trek made frames. I have a red & white (think '97 Race Lite scheme) bmx bike I built from the frame up; can't remember the name of the frame, but it's a race frame. It has v-brake mounts on top of the seatstays. They also sold a dirt jump frame called a Warthog that was baby blue and has u-brake/990 mounts either under the seatstays or on the chainstays. Both frames are in the '97 or '98 Bontrager catalog. Interestingly, the race frame still has a canti stop. They're nice but I don't think they're particularly rare or valuable (except to us Bontrager fanatics, natch).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting. I've seen the orange frame, as well as a light blue/white and red/white frame which you speak of. Never looked too closely at them to see where the brake bosses are. Did Bontrager (or Trek) only make 20 inch frames, or did they do a 24 inch cruiser?

cliff

·
In FTF We Trust
1,815 Posts
Yup, a cruiser too!

Bontrager did make a 24" BMX Cruiser too. It was only available as a complete bike with 1 piece cranks and mid-level parts. It did have Bontrager Clyde rims (sound familiar?). It was black and was called the B-29, I just happen to have one of those too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.