Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a few threads touching on the Bontrager bar stem combo, but nothing with much info. So sorry in advance if this is redundant! Was the package available with different handlebars? I've seen them with Bontrager bars, Answer bars and I recently bought one with a Race Face bar. Was mine made this way from the factory, or modified later because someone toasted a bar? Here is what I have:

Musical instrument accessory Black Carbon


Product Stationery Writing implement Metal Material property
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,513 Posts
I remember selling those (actually just one set). Sales rep told me that if the bar failed, a new bar could be installed at the factory. Perhaps you got one that had the bar replaced.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fillet-brazed said:
I've had a few with the RF bars and one with a Hyperlite I think. I never heard Keith's reasoning on this one. I'd like to hear it.
That is what I was wondering. It appears he used a few different bars. Was there a plan behind it, or was it just random?
 

·
Bike Dork
Joined
·
1,365 Posts
HOLY DAMN! I was just thinking about posting about these because I hadn't ever seen them on this list. I had three of these back in '94ish and they all had Bontrager bars in them. I've never seen one with a different bar.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,196 Posts
This one one of KB's ideas I never thought to be a good one. Bars bend, bars like to be rotated to fit the rider, etc etc.

How much weight was actually saved by not having the bolt, bolt boss anyway? Drilling the bar? I never thought that was "ok". I'm sure it was strong enough with the glue/rivet.

Oh well, at least it kept the riser bars off.:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,652 Posts
KDXdog said:
This one one of KB's ideas I never thought to be a good one. Bars bend, bars like to be rotated to fit the rider, etc etc.

How much weight was actually saved by not having the bolt, bolt boss anyway? Drilling the bar? I never thought that was "ok". I'm sure it was strong enough with the glue/rivet.

Oh well, at least it kept the riser bars off.:D
I sorta agree. There wasn't much weight to save. I've never thrown them on a scale but by hand, my Bontrager combo does seem lighter than my Klein combo though for a comparable reach. The Bontrager/Titec 118 bar pretty much spelled the death of these.
 

·
I picked two too many
Joined
·
766 Posts
good question . . . I have race face and hyperlites . . .a good question for the man hisself

along with . . .

did he take cals off when rolling MA40's and MA2's? . . . I seem to be seeing both
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,696 Posts
MrOrange said:
good question . . . I have race face and hyperlites . . .a good question for the man hisself

along with . . .

did he take cals off when rolling MA40's and MA2's? . . . I seem to be seeing both
At least half of the decal came off because the rim was shortened on one side of the seam. The Super Champions I have only have half of the decal remaining.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,513 Posts
KDXdog said:
This one one of KB's ideas I never thought to be a good one. Bars bend, bars like to be rotated to fit the rider, etc etc.

How much weight was actually saved by not having the bolt, bolt boss anyway? Drilling the bar? I never thought that was "ok". I'm sure it was strong enough with the glue/rivet.

Oh well, at least it kept the riser bars off.:D
I asked same sales rep regarding the drilling of the Hyperlite bar, he reassured me Keith knew what he was doing. I still wasn't sold on the idea. Obviously when the Titec deal was making KB money he used those bars. I am not sure where the RF bars come in chronologically.
 

·
I picked two too many
Joined
·
766 Posts
Sent him a note . . .

Sent Keith a note asking about the Bar/Stems and Rims . . . here is his reply

"Rims - the ones I rolled have no decal or half a decal (I was lazy on some of the ones I gave away). These were made from a few different frnch rims, Rigida, Super Champion and, later, Mavic.

Bar/Stem dealies - We couldn't get the Hyperlites at one point so we switched. They were similar enough that it didn't change anything.

Make sense?"

So Race Face came after Hyperlites.

Rims should generally not have cals.

:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
MrOrange said:
Sent Keith a note asking about the Bar/Stems and Rims . . . here is his reply

"Rims - the ones I rolled have no decal or half a decal (I was lazy on some of the ones I gave away). These were made from a few different frnch rims, Rigida, Super Champion and, later, Mavic.

Bar/Stem dealies - We couldn't get the Hyperlites at one point so we switched. They were similar enough that it didn't change anything.

Make sense?"

So Race Face came after Hyperlites.

Rims should generally not have cals.

:)
Thanks. Great info! Exactly what I was looking for.
 

·
McNears-DTB Schooner
Joined
·
496 Posts
MrOrange said:
Sent Keith a note asking about the Bar/Stems and Rims . . . here is his reply

"Rims - the ones I rolled have no decal or half a decal (I was lazy on some of the ones I gave away). These were made from a few different frnch rims, Rigida, Super Champion and, later, Mavic.

Bar/Stem dealies - We couldn't get the Hyperlites at one point so we switched. They were similar enough that it didn't change anything.

Make sense?"

So Race Face came after Hyperlites.

Rims should generally not have cals.

:)
Thanks for sharing this great info.
 

·
Bike Dork
Joined
·
1,365 Posts
MrOrange said:
no mention of Titec - probably a one off or somebody did it as a replacement
Odd 'cause as I mentioned above I owned 3 of them. I bought them all used and in Seattle and they were all black labeled Bontrager.

EDIT FOLLOW-UP: Thinking more about it the bars may not have been marked. They may have just had the Bontrager decal on the stem.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top