Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a vision the other day of putting a non-suspension corrected, 1" threadless, rigid fork on my 1997 Bontrager Privateer Comp. It would be lighter (I hope) with the threadless stem, headset, and lack of suspension pieces, and the wheel doesn't weigh that much more. I was also thinking of a cheap Deore Hydro front brake.
It would definitely be stiffer (I hope!) with the rigid fork, and the larger wheel would track really well. The fork could be made with the reduced trail measurement, too. It makes a lot of sense, but there are a couple possible dilemmas:

How much does a custom-built, rigid fork cost?

Would toe/tire overlap be an issue? It is a size small (13.5") frame.

Would the wheel even fit within the confines of the downtube?

Let me know what you think!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Nice Bontrager. Thats a GREAT frame. Personally, I would not do what you are thinking about due to the geometry of things. Most mtn bikes have 71 deg head and 73 deg seat tubes that gives us the handling we like. Your Bonty has a 71 head and 74 seat which plays into its own 'unique' ride that they are known for. When you put a "lift kit" on the front end which is what would happen with a big wheel, it throws off both of those numbers. Your bike will not ride, feel or handle the same at all. the steering will be alot slower. The 96 sers that are production bikes are made this way and still have the right angles accounted for. Just my $.02.

For about $200, you could have a custom frame builder make you a nice rigid fork for a 26 inch wheel, 1" steer tube, non-suspension corrected with a disc tab.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So you're saying a custom built, super low axle-to crown-height, rigid fork will STILL be taller than the Judy? How are you sure of this?

The Judy has almost 63mm of travel, or almost 2.5" of travel. On top of that, the custom Bontrager crown is pretty tall. Say that's almost 3.5" of extra space. Is that not enough? I was hoping to ride a larger volume, single ply tire, but my Kenda Nevegal 1.9 felt pretty good on Thursday, and it's not very wide.

Thanks for your help, I appreciate all input.

ajbuilder said:
Nice Bontrager. Thats a GREAT frame. Personally, I would not do what you are thinking about due to the geometry of things. Most mtn bikes have 71 deg head and 73 deg seat tubes that gives us the handling we like. Your Bonty has a 71 head and 74 seat which plays into its own 'unique' ride that they are known for. When you put a "lift kit" on the front end which is what would happen with a big wheel, it throws off both of those numbers. Your bike will not ride, feel or handle the same at all. the steering will be alot slower. The 96 sers that are production bikes are made this way and still have the right angles accounted for. Just my $.02.

For about $200, you could have a custom frame builder make you a nice rigid fork for a 26 inch wheel, 1" steer tube, non-suspension corrected with a disc tab.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
bikenweed said:
So you're saying a custom built, super low axle-to crown-height, rigid fork will STILL be taller than the Judy? How are you sure of this?

The Judy has almost 63mm of travel, or almost 2.5" of travel. On top of that, the custom Bontrager crown is pretty tall. Say that's almost 3.5" of extra space. Is that not enough? I was hoping to ride a larger volume, single ply tire, but my Kenda Nevegal 1.9 felt pretty good on Thursday, and it's not very wide.

Thanks for your help, I appreciate all input.
I think you could make it the same height or just slightly higher. Either way I don't think the angles would be changed much at all.

If it was slightly higher, you could lessen that by running a medium casing tire like the Kenda Klaw in the front and a tall tire like a Geax Sturdy 2.25 in the rear (if it'll fit).

·
'Calm Down'
855 Posts
Have a look at this thread: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=154405

He had a custom Ti fork built for his Ti Lite so he could run a 29" front wheel.

jw

bikenweed said:
I had a vision the other day of putting a non-suspension corrected, 1" threadless, rigid fork on my 1997 Bontrager Privateer Comp. It would be lighter (I hope) with the threadless stem, headset, and lack of suspension pieces, and the wheel doesn't weigh that much more. I was also thinking of a cheap Deore Hydro front brake.
It would definitely be stiffer (I hope!) with the rigid fork, and the larger wheel would track really well. The fork could be made with the reduced trail measurement, too. It makes a lot of sense, but there are a couple possible dilemmas:

How much does a custom-built, rigid fork cost?

Would toe/tire overlap be an issue? It is a size small (13.5") frame.

Would the wheel even fit within the confines of the downtube?

Let me know what you think!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.