Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
WNC Native
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decide on tires for my upcoming SS build. The 29-4 looks like it might be a sweet rear tire. The Bonty Jones ACX has always hooked well in my area (especially on wet slick roots and such) and the 29-4 looks to be their new version of that tread design.

Any one got a good bit of time on one of these? Would definitely like to hear from some East Coast riders if possible.

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Got a few rides on mine before winter hit. Seems to be a different tire than the ACX was. I'll be getting back out again on them soon now that our trails are drying out.

As a rear tire on an SS rig? I wouldn't go there, but I don't have trails like yours either. I'd maybe consider a FR-3 rear/ 29-4 front for a grippy set of SS tires. But that's me.

·
WNC Native
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Guitar Ted said:
I'd maybe consider a FR-3 rear/ 29-4 front for a grippy set of SS tires. But that's me.
I was actually thinking the other way around, but I see where your coming from there. The FR-3 probably would roll better.

I'm looking at these two Bonty tires, the Ardent 2.4, and Purgatory Control 2.2 & 2.4 (maybe Captain Control 2.2 for rear).

I would like a tire that doesn't have terrible rolling resistance, but my main interest is something that will hook up on climbs and good volume. Spinning out on a SS blows, besides being a clyde, gravity seems to play in my favor on downhills. :)

I will be riding some rolling trails though, and I don't want the tires to hold me back too bad.

My previous SS tire combo has always been a Rampage reversed on the rear and correct rotation Rampage on the front.

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Ha ha! Well, if Rampages worked well for you, the 29-4 definitely rolls better than those tires.

I don't have enough trail time to give you judgment on climbing in mash-mode, or on fast cornering on hard pack, but so far they seem like a great pattern for loam and loose, rocky terrain.

nitrousjunky said:
I was actually thinking the other way around, but I see where your coming from there. The FR-3 probably would roll better.

I'm looking at these two Bonty tires, the Ardent 2.4, and Purgatory Control 2.2 & 2.4 (maybe Captain Control 2.2 for rear).

I would like a tire that doesn't have terrible rolling resistance, but my main interest is something that will hook up on climbs and good volume. Spinning out on a SS blows, besides being a clyde, gravity seems to play in my favor on downhills. :)

I will be riding some rolling trails though, and I don't want the tires to hold me back too bad.

My previous SS tire combo has always been a Rampage reversed on the rear and correct rotation Rampage on the front.

·
WNC Native
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input Mark, I'll be watching for you thoughts later on for the 29-4.

The Jones ACX has been by far my favorite rear on my geared bikes and I have a new one that may go on the SS for the rear tire at first. If only there was a 2.4 version of that tire!!

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
nitrousjunky said:
Thanks for the input Mark, I'll be watching for you thoughts later on for the 29-4.

The Jones ACX has been by far my favorite rear on my geared bikes and I have a new one that may go on the SS for the rear tire at first. If only there was a 2.4 version of that tire!!
I have used the 26" version of the 29-4. Its angled knobs not not holdup as well as the square blocks of the ACX on rock and roots and more so in the wet. The FR-3 (and 29-3 2.25) is great in the dry and a bit sketchy descending wet roots/rocks.

Look at the Panaracer CG XC 2.25 for drier conditions.
Schwalbe Nobby Nic for looser or wet.

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
shiggy said:
I have used the 26" version of the 29-4. Its angled knobs not not holdup as well as the square blocks of the ACX on rock and roots and more so in the wet. The FR-3 (and 29-3 2.25) is great in the dry and a bit sketchy descending wet roots/rocks.

Look at the Panaracer CG XC 2.25 for drier conditions.
Schwalbe Nobby Nic for looser or wet.
This makes sense to me so far as I have had the 29-4's out on trails. This was where I was leaning towards as far as my opinion on them. Since you commented pretty much exactly my inclinations so far, I figured I'd let on to that.

I agree that the old ACX would be stellar as a 2.4 incher which would probably work a treat in techy terrain, wet slippery stuff, and loose rocks.

But that isn't any surprise really. Look at any trials tire worth its salt and you'll see right where the ACX gets its grip. Or look at most any motocross tire for that matter.

Square blocks. Hard to beat the simplicity and functionality of that shape for a grippy, aggressive tire, me thinks. :)

·
I hate that name.
1,643 Posts
I've been using the 29-4 on the front for a few months. I like it, definitely rolls faster than the hugeness would imply.

·
Plastic homer
592 Posts
My SS is sporting a 29-3 front, and I will be trying a 29-2 in place of an XDX on the rear tomorrow morning for the first time. The 29-2 is a good bit lighter - we'll see how the traction is. I have used ACX front and rear with great success on this bike.

Trails are typical Socal - rocks, loose over hard, etc.

I am hoping 29-4 will be my new Stout. It is reported 200 grams lighter (Team Issue) each, and it sure looks to have the potential to roll well.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Moval49er said:
My SS is sporting a 29-3 front, and I will be trying a 29-2 in place of an XDX on the rear tomorrow morning for the first time. The 29-2 is a good bit lighter - we'll see how the traction is. I have used ACX front and rear with great success on this bike.

Trails are typical Socal - rocks, loose over hard, etc.

I am hoping 29-4 will be my new Stout. It is reported 200 grams lighter (Team Issue) each, and it sure looks to have the potential to roll well.
The Stout is basically a square block tread. The 29-4 is not. See the comments above.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
nitrousjunky said:
Any one got a good bit of time on one of these? Would definitely like to hear from some East Coast riders if possible.
I have had a Bonty 29-4 mounted on the rear of my SS for about 10 - 12 weeks and love it. Living in the AZ dessert I cannot tell you how it works in the wet or on roots etc but it just flat out grips on rock and sand. My initial concern with the 29-4 was that the sidewalls felt much thinner than my FR3 (or the UST and DH tires I run on my 26" bike) but so far so good.

·