Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have them on my X-Cal, running tubeless, and I love them. They are quite a bit slower than the less agressive XDX's, though, and it really depends on the type of terrain that you ride and what you want to accomplish (racing, gravel grinding, etc.).

CC

·
Registered
535 Posts
I test rode bikes with the 29-3 in 2.25 width and they are great, the narrow 2.00 is so hot. I also rode the new 29-2 and it was fantastic (2.1 wide). If I were buying a new Trek 29er, I would ask the shop to swap tires to the 29-2.

·
XXIX
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On groomed had pack these tires rock but on wet off camber roots and slick stuff they are like roller skates on ice. Thats my problem I ride more technical stuff than fast hardpack. I was just wondering if its a 29 thing or just the tries. Ive lowered my pressure down as low as I can get it and its still a problem. Im loosing my confidence in the front.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Not sure what kind of tires you're used to riding, but I LOVE this combo on my SF100.

I "upgraded" my tires from the stock weight weenie XC tires as I'm racing on single track and I really really like the XR3. The front has almost the grip of the XR4 that I use on my trail bike, and the rear has been exceptional up rocky and rooty climbs, and rolls fast to boot.

Definitely my choice for single track racing and general trail riding.

I might go back to the XDX or XR1 if I do a race that has a LOT of fireroads, but as long as stuff is 100% single track, any rolling resistance gain is lost when the trail turns in my opinion.

-Tom

·
Registered
201 Posts
My 29-3s were fine till it started raining.
I'm running 29-4s and they seem to be better but I may switch back to the 29-3s in the summer when things dry out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts