Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to purchase a couple of 29-3, 2.0 (rear) for my monstercross.
Bonti has a TLR version which weighs 575g vs. a non-TLR edition that comes in at 510g.
I do intend to run them tubeless. However, I know many people set up their no-TLR tubeless without a hitch.

Does the re-enforce tire bead is so paramountly useful/superior when it comes to tubeless setup that it's worth the 65g weight penalty? First hand experience is greatly appreciated...

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Climber999 said:
I am about to purchase a couple of 29-3, 2.0 (rear) for my monstercross.
Bonti has a TLR version which weighs 575g vs. a non-TLR edition that comes in at 510g.
I do intend to run them tubeless. However, I know many people set up their no-TLR tubeless without a hitch.

Does the re-enforce tire bead is so paramountly useful/superior when it comes to tubeless setup that it's worth the 65g weight penalty? First hand experience is greatly appreciated...
I do not see a non-TLR or any @ 510g version on the web site.

The TLR bead is not just "reinforced". It is shaped to properly seal and hold on true tubeless rims, and it does that exceptionally well.

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
Use TLR , well worth the minor weight penalty . My two cents .

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
shiggy said:
I do not see a non-TLR or any @ 510g version on the web site.

The TLR bead is not just "reinforced". It is shaped to properly seal and hold on true tubeless rims, and it does that exceptionally well.
Thanks for the input.

This is the non-TLR version:
http://bontrager.com/model/08539

Note the last entry in the details tab: 510g

This the TLR version:
http://bontrager.com/model/07943

Note the second entry in the details tab: 575g

·
Registered
562 Posts
Depends a lot on the rim. TLR rim and TLR tire fit together real well. TLR rim with non-TLR tire usually works pretty well. TLR tire with non-TLR rim? Probably works okay, but again it depends on the rim/tire.

·
transmitter~receiver
9,333 Posts
Climber999 said:
This is the non-TLR version:
http://bontrager.com/model/08539

Note the last entry in the details tab: 510g
Also on that page:
"Team Issue versions are lighter non-TLR versions of our race proven 29-3 TLR"
The 510g version is Team Issue.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Fishlips said:
Depends a lot on the rim. TLR rim and TLR tire fit together real well.
= tubeless w/sealant

TLR rim with non-TLR tire usually works pretty well.
= use an inner tube

TLR tire with non-TLR rim? Probably works okay, but again it depends on the rim/tire.
= use an inner tube

·
Registered
762 Posts
For what it's worth, I have 29-3 tire in "Team Issue" form (but mine's 2.3 not 2.0 size).
So yes, it's a smidgen lighter, and its bead isn't technically TLR. Nevertheless this is still a great choice for my local trails, as it's pretty tough, with decent sidewalls, plus I reckon that bead still seats very securely on TLR rims. So... I expect the 2.0 in non-TLR (or Team Issue) form would be a nice monstercross tire. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
52 Posts
TLR tires on non-TLR rims

My Drakkar is set-up with 29-3 2.0 tubeless front and rear on bontrager non-TLR rims and they work great. No issues.

·
ChampagneTaste-BeerMoney
53 Posts
Non-TLR

I tried to love the non-TLR (mine was 470g with packaging). It had surprising traction despite its minimalist looks. However, the sidewalls were so thin that I flatted 4 times in 3 races :madman: and they (sidewalls) are full of small tears from rubbing against rocks. Hopefully the TLR version is more durable as it is a nice tire otherwise.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Thank you all for the feedback. It seems like a both versions will seal well on a TLR rim, but the non-TLR may have thinner side walls.

A corollary question:
Are Stans' rims TLR compatible? In other words, are they TLR?

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Sidewalls on TLR compared to normal casing, there is no comparison, NONE> For the very miniscule weight gain, you gain a much more robust and thicker sidewall - feels about 3 or 4 times thicker/stronger. You can mount and air up the TLR without sealant and it will hold air for days without lossing pressure (on Stans Flows rims).

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
What LyNx said. Non-TLR just isn't worth the trouble. Small gain for HUGE potential downside.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I had the 29-3 (2.0") TLR mounted to both front and rear on Stan's Arch rims. The bead was tight and took a little extra effort to mount. Once mounted and inflated they sealed well. They were very light and I felt like they accelerated fast on my SS. Traction on flat, twisting, singletrack was good. Climbing traction was decent but I like better traction on climbs. That is all I can really share. I rode them twice and changed them. They were just too thin. They are labeled 2.0 but I feel they may run a little thinner than that. I got knocked around way too much on the rocky trails and traction over rocks was mediocre.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
shiggy said:
= tubeless w/sealant

= use an inner tube

= use an inner tube
Originally Posted by Fishlips
Depends a lot on the rim. TLR rim and TLR tire fit together real well.
= tubeless w/sealant

Quote:
TLR rim with non-TLR tire usually works pretty well.
= use a split tube

Quote:
TLR tire with non-TLR rim? Probably works okay, but again it depends on the rim/tire.
= use a split tube

(There, fixed it for ya Shiggy;) )

·
Registered
541 Posts
I've burped a TLR tire mounted on a TLR rim, though it was under adverse conditions (landing a small jump sideways on pavement with 21 psi or so in the tire).

Generally I've been happy with the TLR system though: regular tires mount up tubeless very nicely on the rims, and I don't think I've had any issues aside from the incident mentioned above.

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,471 Posts
Go TLR....

Climber999 said:
Thank you all for the feedback. It seems like a both versions will seal well on a TLR rim, but the non-TLR may have thinner side walls.

A corollary question:
Are Stans' rims TLR compatible? In other words, are they TLR?
For years I've run Bonti TLR rims and TLR tires and it's been such an utterly bombproof setup for racing and trail riding I won't go back to anything else. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. For 65g I would not mess what's been, by far, the best tubeless system on the market.

I've tried Bonti tires on Stan's and the initial set up, like all Stan's set ups, is a gamble and even at best not nearly as reliable long term.

The wheel builds I've had with the Bonti OSB TLR rims have been latterally stiffer and far more durable than almost every other wheel I've owned.

Now that Bonti has a good number TLR tire choices it's really a simple decision as to which tubeless system to use. After many years of futsing with Stan's and years of riding the Bonti system I can't see why folks still would even consider Stan's (well, Stan's rims are lighter).

·
RIDE TO LIVE
464 Posts
After many years of futsing with Stan's and years of riding the Bonti system I can't see why folks still would even consider Stan's (well said:
I have been racing a set of Team Issue 29-3's on a set of Stans Crest rims all season and its been totally bulletproof. 3 oz Stans sealant in each and only one sidewall cut with 10+ races plus many hours of training rides. I ride/race on rock infested New England trails. The tires went on very tight, I needed a tire lever to mount them which is a first for me. I generally run 23-27 lbs depending on conditions on my SS Superfly and weigh 140lbs.

Its a great matchup and one I would highly recommend.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts