Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys, I've got a chance to buy a Privateer:) . I don't know if it's a Comp, an S or just a Privateer. It's black with I what looks like creme decals and has what looks like a RockShox Indy or similar (yellow). Don't know much else, just saw a poor picture and have an appointment tomorrow to check it out:D . What should I look for and what kinda price range should it be in:confused: ? Let's assume it's about an 8 out of 10. Thanx for the info and thoughts....

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have no idea what a used privateer cost but just to give you an idea. My friend's cousin used to own a bike shop that sold bontragers and treks. He told me he still has a XL 1996 privateer comp in silver brand new in the box still and he said his cousin will let me have it for $1000. Too bad I'm only 5'9" on a good hair day. He also has a size small 1996 race frame in blue that he'll part with for $700. I might go take a look at that blue race frame and see if they run big like other trek frames. Good luck with your look-see tomorrow, Stan.

·
artistic...
7,636 Posts
Hardguy said:
I have no idea what a used privateer cost but just to give you an idea. My friend's cousin used to own a bike shop that sold bontragers and treks. He told me he still has a XL 1996 privateer comp in silver brand new in the box still and he said his cousin will let me have it for $1000. Too bad I'm only 5'9" on a good hair day. He also has a size small 1996 race frame in blue that he'll part with for $700. I might go take a look at that blue race frame and see if they run big like other trek frames. Good luck with your look-see tomorrow, Stan.
your size is a medium.

·
velocipede technician
8,877 Posts
stan4bikes said:
OK guys, I've got a chance to buy a Privateer:) . I don't know if it's a Comp, an S or just a Privateer. It's black with I what looks like creme decals and has what looks like a RockShox Indy or similar (yellow). Don't know much else, just saw a poor picture and have an appointment tomorrow to check it out:D . What should I look for and what kinda price range should it be in:confused: ? Let's assume it's about an 8 out of 10. Thanx for the info and thoughts....
if you must buy a trektrager:)madman: ), at least make sure its got the black fork crown.

hold out dude, wait for a sc made bontrager.

as a side note anybody know how many privateers were made with a 1" head tube?

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
hollister said:
hold out dude, wait for a sc made bontrager.
oy vay... here we go again... :rolleyes:

as a side note anybody know how many privateers were made with a 1" head tube?
um, most of them. ??

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well I bought it. It's got a Quadra fork, XT rear derailer and LX everything else. Black with Gold decals, SRT800 shifters, DiaCompe levers, checks out as a 96 "Privateer S" but only says "Privateer"? Oh well, it's clean, it fits me and I like it...Pictures to follow

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.