Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently running an Ignitor on the back of my Fisher Rig. Good all around tire (tread life,side wall strength,grip). The only problem a 1/4" hole between tread blocks that I patched to keep running tube less. Now there is a bulge around the repaired area. Can anyone help with the tread life,side wall,and size comparison or should I just put on a fresh Ignitor?

·
Registered
2 Posts
The XDX is a great tire, as is the Ignitor. Consider the conditions that you ride in and your ability level. The XDX is perhaps my fav. tire. The only time that I use a different tire is in loose or wet conditions.

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
I don't know about tread life, but the XDX has the AR casing and is tubeless ready. It will take to tubeless better. Mine was a ***** and half to mount to my Flows. Seats really well. Strong sidewalls Traction is great. Big volume. More of a 2.3 than a 2.1.

·
Joenes
40 Posts
XDX is way more durable

DryX (XDX) is a more durable tire, the sidewall has the additional support of the abrasion resistance coating. This helps in a couple ways; it's more durable and it has much better sidewall support. The sidewall support allows a couple lower psi, aiding traction and comfort. This is my tire choice as well.

BTW, next time you get a sidewall (or tread) cut, I find that the best repair is to first sew the cut with dental floss and then patch. The dental floss is very strong and will keep the tire cut from bulging. I've gotten normail life out of tires that were torn and repaired this way many times (including road, tubed mtb, and tubeless mtb).

·
Registered
288 Posts
Dry X durability

I find the Dry X (aka XDX) to be far more durable in terms of sidewall strength. I lost multiple Ignitors due to sidewall cuts (along with Bontrager XRs), which grew frustrating. I think the newer Ignitors are heavier, and some of that may have gone into the sidewall. The Dry X\XDX is probably the first tire where I will wear out the tread before tearing open the side, and it is a good all arounder with great volume for a "2.1", as long as it is not too wet.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! You guys have put me at ease about the decision. I just got a $50.00 gift certificate to my local Trek dealer so I will get a new Dry-X. I was looking for a little bit more volume and side wall strength. I was always worried about the Ignitor following my front Rampage through all the rocks in the Phoenix area. Now I just have to see how long the tread lasts!

·
Registered
467 Posts
Just made the switch...

I was running ignitors front and rear,,, went tubless with them and then felt like it was too much tread at the lower pressures... Now running the xdx tubeless front and rear.. I would not call it a tire for beginers,, but if you have some decent skills you can make it work in a variety of situations... key is running lower pressures ie low 30 to mid 30 range for me... At higher psi it may be a little sketchy on loose surfaces... Also, the tire handles well when you keep it rolling.. start to skid and it really doesn't grip well... Durability seems great just like the above comments....

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,471 Posts
Dry X...

Nice tire. Much better as a tubeless than the Ignitor. Not even a comparison IMO.

If you need more knobs than the Dry X has to offer go to the ACX TLR. While not as tough as the Dry X I found it much better than the Ignitor for tubeless applications. At least on Bonti rims.

·
Expert Crasher
6,358 Posts
Dscarbs said:
Also, the tire handles well when you keep it rolling.. start to skid and it really doesn't grip well... Durability seems great just like the above comments....
My chief complaint with the DryX was braking traction - it would lock up too easily and lose grip (I thought...)

Other than that - it's one of my top 3 favorite tires. Very durable, works well tubeless.

·
3,049 Posts
The XDX is better than the Ignitor in every way, and the perfect XC tire for Arizona. The only place I haven't been totally happy with it is on the rear of my rigid SS, for the reason Greennie mentions above.

·
Expert Crasher
6,358 Posts
ionsmuse said:
The XDX is better than the Ignitor in every way, and the perfect XC tire for Arizona. The only place I haven't been totally happy with it is on the rear of my rigid SS, for the reason Greennie mentions above.
Did you like the Ignitor better in the rear? I opted to not wrestle a XDX on the back of my KM (figuring the Gordos would make wrapping that TLR bead over the lip a PITA), so I tossed an Ignitor on the back (the Gordo gives the Ignitor a 57mm casing). WeirWolf up front still.

I never tried the XDX up front....my wife has them both now on her El Mariachi.....

·
3,049 Posts
GreenLightGo said:
Did you like the Ignitor better in the rear? I opted to not wrestle a XDX on the back of my KM (figuring the Gordos would make wrapping that TLR bead over the lip a PITA), so I tossed an Ignitor on the back (the Gordo gives the Ignitor a 57mm casing). WeirWolf up front still.

I never tried the XDX up front....my wife has them both now on her El Mariachi.....
My favorite singlespeed rear tire remains the lowly Nanoraptor.

Since I got some the XDX's have been the only tire on either end of the Leviathan. They only fail in conditions nasty enough that I don't ride the gearie, anyway.

·
Expert Crasher
6,358 Posts
ionsmuse said:
My favorite singlespeed rear tire remains the lowly Nanoraptor.

Since I got some the XDX's have been the only tire on either end of the Leviathan. They only fail in conditions nasty enough that I don't ride the gearie, anyway.
Thanks. I'm a bit skeptical on the XDX up front - probably won't try it any time soon up there since I'm happy with the Ardent - really happy. Have yet to try a Nano - but may give one a go next dry season.

I think this spring/summer when the rains hit Miami - I'll try the Mountain Kings on the SS and put the Sultan to the pasture for a while. I agree - much easier to deal with a muddy SS than the muddy gearie. Didn't you use Mtn Kings for a while?

One of these days - I'll hit you up via PM - want to see if you had any conclusive results on your 'riding with music' experiment (blog post from a while back).

·
3,049 Posts
GreenLightGo said:
Didn't you use Mtn Kings for a while?

One of these days - I'll hit you up via PM - want to see if you had any conclusive results on your 'riding with music' experiment (blog post from a while back).
I've got Kings on the monkey right now. They're a great slop tire.

The hiking fast uphill with music experiment yielded significant (statistically) results. Something like 5 mins faster, p<.001.

·
Expert Crasher
6,358 Posts
ionsmuse said:
I've got Kings on the monkey right now. They're a great slop tire.

The hiking fast uphill with music experiment yielded significant (statistically) results. Something like 5 mins faster, p<.001.
:thumbsup: Thanks. I had about 15 separate tabs open with your blog archive looking for some Monkey info and ran across that. Didn't dig too deeply into it but thought it was interesting.

My son had about $15 left on a iTunes gift card so I pulled out my Gen 1 Shuffle (a.k.a. the long white stick) and downloaded a bunch. I need a Gen 2 so I can strap it somewhere I can reach it....but we digress. Maybe I'll get an orange one in memory of your orangey.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.