Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This evening I became a little bit overzealous with a headset install on my new frame. The frame is a Rocky Mountain Hammer 29er made out of Reynolds 725 chromoly. The headset is an aluminum Race Face Deus.

Determined to assemble the bike completely on my own, I built a home-made headset press out of brass plumbing fittings, washers, and threaded bar (from plans common on the internet).

I underestimated the finesse needed to proerly install a headset and without carefully reading the instructions about keeping the headset cups level at all times I went to town on the install and more or less brute-forced the headset into place. Both sides went in crooked initially but straightened out completely just prior to seating flush in the frame. Nothing cracked, but after reading the instructions more carefully I am afraid I may have weakened, ovalized, or otherwise damaged the headtube or headset during the install. Is this a possibility or am I being unreasonable? I am hoping that if either the frame or headset were under a great deal of stress the headset cups would have cracked first since they are relatively thin and made out of aluminum. I am really kicking myself for not having brought it into the shop. :madman:

·
I'm just messing with you
5,423 Posts
Heck, some people install headsets with hammers - so you're probably OK. Give it a good looking at if you are still worried.

·
Enthusiast
5,360 Posts
I don't think I've ever seen a cup go in 100% perfectly square. Your results might depend upon just how crooked they got during the pressing process.

Your frame is steel. If the end result looks good, and if it rides good, then it is good. IMHO.

And wv_bob is correct. I've heard of people, especially BMXers, who just hammer the things into place.

·
Kaishingo
248 Posts
You should be fine. Even with professional tools, the things always go in crooked. If it went in easily, I doubt anything bent.

Now if it started going in crooked, and you had to pull at a 3 foot pipe for leverage to make the headset go in any further...then you might have problems!

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I highly doubt you have damaged the frame
The thin piece of aluminium in the headset is not gonna do any damaged to the steel
Even using presses, ive never seen a headset go in dead straight the entire way, they always start crooked and then straighten up. If your fork goes in fine, tightens fine, and turns fine, your pretty much set.

·
meh....
3,589 Posts
get your hammer out and tap the headset cups around the edges to make sure they're seated all the way in, then you're golden. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.