Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
life is a barrel o'fun
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The beauty of having a fire hydrant in front of the house, is the guaranteed parking spot when needed for loading/unloading bike stuff. It probably doesn't even work, but I've come to like it all the same for the above reason.

Until today.......when it turned on me for no reason.

I parked across the street and was schlepping some freshly-laundered blankets. Visibility was reduced, but I thought I'd managed to get b/w the hydrant and the pipe next to it.

Instead, as I stepped up the curb, my left thigh slammed into the bolt that protrudes from the part that juts out at a 45 degree angle. :eekster:

Holy freakin' pain. Never been sucker-punched by a hydrant before. No colors yet, but once they form, I'm afraid this could be the second hematoma lump on this leg :(

:smallviolin: yeah, yeah. In the grand scheme of things, how silly. Feels good to whine a little though, when I move my leg the pain is pretty sharp. If anybody knows how to prevent a lump I'm all ears (eyes.)

·
life is a barrel o'fun
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Avoiding the painfully obvious. Ah yes. Why didn't I simply go around the hydrant rather than squeezing past it? Because even when I'm walking, I'm picking challenging lines now as if I were riding back into the house. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
If it makes you feel any better, I've been riding clipless for over a year and a half and completely landed with a gigantic thud on my left hip last night during a ride trying to climb up a steep rock section. Couldn't clip out! :madman:

That being said, they were brand new cleats and better than the typical brass cleats :)

I'll whine with you! :smallviolin:

·
Des(s)ert Rat
4,961 Posts
Exhibit A:

Christine said:
The beauty of having a fire hydrant in front of the house, is the guaranteed parking spot when needed for loading/unloading bike stuff. It probably doesn't even work, but I've come to like it all the same for the above reason.

Until today.......when it turned on me for no reason.

I parked across the street and was schlepping some freshly-laundered blankets. Visibility was reduced, but I thought I'd managed to get b/w the hydrant and the pipe next to it.

Instead, as I stepped up the curb, my left thigh slammed into the bolt that protrudes from the part that juts out at a 45 degree angle. :eekster:

Holy freakin' pain. Never been sucker-punched by a hydrant before. No colors yet, but once they form, I'm afraid this could be the second hematoma lump on this leg :(

:smallviolin: yeah, yeah. In the grand scheme of things, how silly. Feels good to whine a little though, when I move my leg the pain is pretty sharp. If anybody knows how to prevent a lump I'm all ears (eyes.)
Exhibit B:

aword4you said:
If it makes you feel any better, I've been riding clipless for over a year and a half and completely landed with a gigantic thud on my left hip last night during a ride trying to climb up a steep rock section. Couldn't clip out! :madman:

That being said, they were brand new cleats and better than the typical brass cleats :)

I'll whine with you! :smallviolin:
If you two were real girls, then you would know that you should be wearing armour... ;)

At least those are outdoor bruises. I have one from walking into a chair in the middle of the night.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Old School ++

Probably not alot you can do other than go old school with it and use the ice and Advil. Maybe follow up with Arnica cream to promote bruise healing and take turmeric (as an anti-inflammatory). Hmmmmm......better yet just order out Indian Food.......yum :idea:

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
screampint said:
Exhibit A:

Exhibit B:

If you two were real girls, then you would know that you should be wearing armour... ;)

At least those are outdoor bruises. I have one from walking into a chair in the middle of the night.
Only the downhill hip padded shorts would've saved my side! :)

But, you're right. We're girls. We should've been wearing armor :thumbsup:

:rolleyes:

·
life is a barrel o'fun
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Body armour while doing laundry. Hmmm. Better yet, I could store my helmet and armour on the hydrant! Yeah......

Walking to my room in the dark- that's another game of mine. With the new ottomans I'll need the shin guards for sure.

Bruise isn't turning any colors, but I can feel the pain all right. Kinda boring.

·
DeForest Stump
972 Posts
It takes a couple of days for the full color to show. If that's a muscle bruise ayyyeeee that's painful. :cryin:

·
~I Ride In Circles ~
1,629 Posts
Ouch.. sounds like yesterday for me. I went to kick a metal chair out of the way... swung my foot at the closest chair leg missed and swumg too high... ended up smacking my shine directly into a hardedged piece of solid steel.. wow was it painful. I felt like such a tool and half of my swimmers (I'm a coach) saw it and were laughing their asses off.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Christine said:
No colors yet, but once they form, I'm afraid this could be the second hematoma lump on this leg :(
Sorry to hear it, Christine. :(

(sits patiently waiting carnage pics :D ..... I couldn't find the "this thread is useless without pics" Smiley)

Get well soon. Take pics before then.

·
life is a barrel o'fun
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I need to get my clumsy hands on a digital camera first. The type I want isn't in the budget at the moment.

Gee, why don't my friends/family trust me to borrow *theirs*?? :p

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.