Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel like a complete and utter moron here, but I honestly don't understand how the spinning disc / 8-point star end of the Park BBT-9 works on my Saint Hollowtech II crank cap.

I do understand that the crank cap is only to be applied with very little torque, but I'm at a loss on understanding how the BBT-9 tool is to be used on it. Why does that part of the tool spin freely? Am I just supposed to spin the cap on tight using the ridges outside teeth with my fingers? The picture / limited instructions on the Park Tools site isn't helping me.

I don't get it. I feel quite stupid; I'm sure I'm missing something painfully obvious here...

Thanks in advance!

Cheers, Chris

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
If the preload cap tool was fixed to the shank, I imagine there'd be an awful lot of over-torqued HTII systems pedalling (as best they could!!) around. I like the idea of making a tool so that it's difficult to use excessive torque. The whole HTII system, tools and all, strikes me as an example of intelligent design. Hats off to Park Tools for the design of the BBT-9, too.
Peas,
Steve

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.