Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
that guy
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Bombtrack Beyond+ ADV looks like an absolutely incredible bike. It checks nearly every box that I personally have on my list of requirements... except one -- there's no sliding dropout option for an easy singlespeed setup. That fact just boggles my mind with a modern steel frame, but it is what it is.

I'm worried that EBBs and tensioners add complexity, may alter the geometry, or simply can't/won't hold up well in the wilderness on tougher/longer bikepacking trips. Is that a legitimate concern, or am I overthinking the issue?

Question 1: Has anyone seen a decent singlespeed configuration for the Bombtrack Beyond frame? If so, what was it?

Here's my short list of requirements:
1. Must be steel
2. Must work well with 29x3" tires
3. Geometry must work well with 120mm or 130mm suspension fork (525mm and 535mm a2c measurements, respectively)
4. Must have stealth/internal routing for dropper post
5. Must be boost rear end (148x12mm)
6. Must be fairly inexpensive -- I can't afford a custom frame, so it needs to be in the same ballpark as the Bombtrack, or less.
7. Must be easily converted to singlespeed with sliding dropouts.
8. Must have mounts everywhere on the frame for packs, bottles, front and rear racks, etc.

Question 2: If converting the Bombtrack to singlespeed is a bad idea or may cause issues, what other frame options out there match ALL of my criteria above?

Please and thank you!

For reference, here are the beautiful Bombtrack offerings:
2019:

2020:

·
that guy
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Vassago Verhauen ticks every one of those boxes.
Funny you should mention that. I spoke to Tom at Vassago a few years ago about building a similar rig. At the time, he was receptive to the idea of adding a bunch of extra bottle/cage/rack mounts everywhere, but I wasn't sure that the Verhauen's geometry at the time would really work with my 120mm-130mm Fox fork.

I'll have to check in with him again to see if he'll work with me on tweaking his latest version of the frame for bikepacking. Good call!

·
that guy
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
and it must be inexpensive 
As in, not custom frame pricing. :thumbsup:

The Bombtrack complete bikes shown in the OP are less than $3k total. While that's certainly not cheap by any stretch of the imagination, it's no where near the top end of the market either. There are some custom steel frame builders who charge that much for just the frame.

·
that guy
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, you knew somebody was going to say it... What about a Krampus? Yeah, it's not sliding dropouts. But I think the thru-axle and slotted dropouts will work just fine as a single speed.
I was all about the Krampus or the Vassago lineup before stumbling on the Bombtrack option, so it's certainly not a bad idea. Surly bikes are a rock solid choice.

In fact, there are a few advantages with the Krampus -- not the least of which is a much lower cost build. It's also easier to find Surly distributors than any of the other "boutique" options, so warranty issues would probably be easier to deal with.

My list so far is short:
1. Vassago Verhauen
2. Surly Krampus
3. Bombtrack Beyond+ ADV (only if I can find a decent way to make the SS conversion)
4. TBD...

·
Rippin da fAt
10,464 Posts
Now that I haven't tried! It will do 29 x 2.6 readily.
I would like to give it a try however. With the slider all the way back, it may take a 3.0.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
What did you decide in the end, cause right now deciding between KM/Krampus & Beyond+ ADV. I like the Surly price, but Bombtrack should be lighter, even if went with a steel fork over the carbon fork. I find the frame pirce of the Bobtrack Beyond+ ADV to be fair, but not the carbon fork tbh. I've seen Surly or Niner steel fork for $100-150 in the open market & it's a tempting option.

Have you thought about the 2020 Kona Unit, which can do 29x2.8.

·
Registered
14,885 Posts
The Bombtrack Beyond+ ADV looks like an absolutely incredible bike. It checks nearly every box that I personally have on my list of requirements... except one -- there's no sliding dropout option for an easy singlespeed setup. That fact just boggles my mind with a modern steel frame, but it is what it is.
I've never done [or seen] a SS conversion to a frame not designed for it that was satisfying. You sort of take all that awesome SS simplicity and robustness and add in complexity and extra failure modes. So if running SS is a must have I would get a bike designed for that from the get go.

Personally if I was in your shoes I'd either get a Krampus or order a custom Marino 29+. They are both affordable choices that are reliable and will make you happy.

·
Registered
14,885 Posts
How is the durability on these Marino frames?
I haven't read about any problems. They are pretty simple steel frames so I don't expect you are at risk for high failure rates. If you are particularly heavy/aggressive and/or plan to abuse the frame in unusual ways you can tell them that up front and they can select tubing accordingly.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.