Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couldn't help sharing this one.

I have a spare repair stand in our team room @ work, and "JC", of of our guys who does metal fab work as a side endeavor was watching me struggle with it, and was intrigued...we got to talking about how flimsy many repair stands are when you really need to wrench down on something, etc...he asked me for some input, and I bought a Park wall-mount behemoth on eBay, and the rest is history.

Note: I do a LOT of work in my "shop" at home, and I asked him for a "bomb-proof" stand for a shop, not really to tote around to events, etc. I have a nice Park race stand for that. I actually have a picture of JC DOING CHIN-UPS from this stand! :eekster:

Here is the prototype. This one weighs in at 81 pounds and stands 65" (I'm 72")...enjoy...I sure am :drumroll:

In addition to being a beefy baseplate, he designed it to accommodate a 45lb barbell plate in case I need extra ballast (doubtful)...note the casters...brilliant touch on his part and makes cleaning my shop mucho easier...the outriggers are a nice touch too for increased stability...

Clamphead detail: I told him I wanted strength over convenience when it came to moving clamp up and down, so he drilled the holes on-center, so it only takes a minute or two to un-bolt one, loosen the other, and "flip" the clamp down...

Also, A nice rebar handle for moving the stand around on it's casters...much like moving an exercise bike around at the gym, etc.

Pic of my uber Singlespeed on it, to illustrate for scale and overall beefiness.

If you are anywhere in the vicinity of here (about an hour south of Raleigh, NC) and are interested in a stand, JC can custom make anything you want.

·
MTBR Member
3,008 Posts
RSW42 said:
If you are anywhere in the vicinity of here (about an hour south of Raleigh, NC) and are interested in a stand, JC can custom make anything you want.
Where is he? I'm in Chapel Hill. I've been on the lookout for a shop-style Park stand the past few weeks - my flimsy Park stand just isn't cutting it any more. I'd like to contact JC to have something like your stand fabricated. Like you, I am looking for something that will stay in the home shop - the sturdier, the better.

Thank you very much for posting this.

Which arm are you using?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
reptilezs said:
now that is a nice base/stand. a work tray would have been icing on the cake! love the wheels. how does the ballast work? just stick a weight plate on the base?
He already has planz for a tray...he said it's "too easy".

No ballast needed AT ALL...I had a bike up in it last night and it is ROCK SOLID. JC designed it for the 45lb plate "just in case" I needed it. :)

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ncfisherman said:
Where is he? I'm in Chapel Hill. I've been on the lookout for a shop-style Park stand the past few weeks - my flimsy Park stand just isn't cutting it any more. I'd like to contact JC to have something like your stand fabricated. Like you, I am looking for something that will stay in the home shop - the sturdier, the better.

Thank you very much for posting this.

Which arm are you using?
He is in Sanford.

I'm using the Park PRS-4W-1. Found it on eBay new. http://www.parktool.com/product/deluxe-wall-mount-repair-stand-PRS-4W-1

You can PM me with an Email address, and I will ship to him and I'm sure he'd Email you promptly.

R

·
Shirtless Singlespeeder
506 Posts
My Version of bombproof

After seeing lots of DIY stands in here, I appreciated seeing one that you could actually put the bike in and wrench on it without it falling over.
Here is my version of such a stand.

the base was a disc from one of those things a farmer uses to till a field. To it I welded some pipe scrounged from I forget where...

I splurged and had my LBS order me a Park replacement head.

The pipe fits perfectly the large discs from a gym. I could only scrounge 2 so I sandwiched lots of smaller discs in between. I forget how much weight it all is, but I can have my bike in the stand and have a wrench on the bottom bracket with a cheater bar and it barely wiggles. Since the base is round, if I need to move it, I just tilt it and roll it out of the way. If I need to move it to another location, the head comes off, the weights slide off, and I can move it anywhere by myself.

On the backside I mounted some old bike hooks. It can hold up to 2 bikes and still have a bike in the stand.

A good quality free standing bike stand is the absolute best addition to a shop.

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
Very nice stands :thumbsup: both of you! My problem is that I was given a shop quality park stand that holds 2 arms...but since I am still living with my parents (I'm 18 years old) I have no place to bolt it to the floor or haven't found a metal base yet and it does not have any arms :madman: (that was the deal, I get everything except arms haha). I just don't feel like spending $100 or so on an arm. I have a Park bench mount stand that I use currently. Here is some pics of my current setup.

I made this a couple years ago. It's perfect for me because I can roll it around or move it outside on a sunny day. The Park truing stand is held on by wingnuts so I can quickly take that off if it's in the way. The main steel frame with shelves is actually made out of an old Yakima display (does anyone remember the displays that looked like red Hummers?) and I put 4 swivelling casters on it. It's got room for all of my tools and a lot of parts. Like I said, I can roll it outside on a sunny day and if I bring all the partsI need, I don't need to do any running to the garage for stuff.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,575 Posts
I like the looks of these beefy stands. I've got an old Park stand with foldable legs, but I have to stand on them just to clamp/unclamp my bike. It doesn't fold up enough to be portable, so I may cannibalize it and get a beefier base made someday.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Sorry no photo...but you might get the idea-In my garage is a steel post in front of the water heater-similar to OP RSW42 I had my head mounted on a square tube of steel that slid over the top of the round post set in concrete. A simple wedge kept the unit from moving. square peg round hole needed the wedge to make fit...

·
Registered
914 Posts
nice, looks good. When I was younger my dad made a bike stand out of an old car engine stand we had. It could hold a 454 or a 30lb bike, haha. Your stand reminded me of that. Way over built for what it has to do but still gets the job done.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
brent878 said:
nice, looks good. When I was younger my dad made a bike stand out of an old car engine stand we had. It could hold a 454 or a 30lb bike, haha. Your stand reminded me of that. Way over built for what it has to do but still gets the job done.
Yeah, "JC" the guy who built it for me, has pictures of him doin gchin-ups from the stand!

I like that workbench/stand idea...very cool.

S

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.