Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the last 3 months I've managed heavily damage 2 rims (1 I've already replaced). This second time I was also running a rimpact pro. So hit me with you suggestions for the most durable rim.
Current rim is an alexrim something something. Aka a wheel of cheese.

Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire Automotive tire

· Elitest thrill junkie
41,092 Posts
The nature of those types of impacts will negate any available material or construction.

The only thing that I can think would work for you is rubber rims?

· Premium Member
8,744 Posts
Santa Cruz Reserve. That way we can see if lifetime no fault really means it. As others have said, the rims aren’t your issue, more pressure and probably a heavier casing tire. If the rims hadn’t deformed, you would have been walking out with a destroyed tire.

· Registered
2,697 Posts
The answer is probably some combination of all of these.

1) Tire pressure. You… probably need more of this is a common occurrence. Especially if you are already running a rimpact pro.
2) Tire casing. You may need to step up to a thicker casing tire in the back. So if you have EXO on right now, try DD, if you have DD, try DH, etc.
3) There likely are more durable rims. The DTSwiss ex511, or FR560 are pretty tough. So are the spank 359 vibrocores, and the hope fortus wheels. Or something like a we are one unions, or Nobl TR37’s or other heavier duty Carbon rims with a lifetime warranty.

· Registered
1,424 Posts
Like everyone else said, more pressure.

However, I got a set of EX511s laced to Race Face Vault hubs. I’m 230# and ride fairly aggressive at times. The wheels are very impressive. My first ride out on them, my derailleur got knocked into the wheel, the wheel pulled the derailleur around to the 12:00 position. Rode another mile or so on the wheel with two twisted spokes. Took it back to the builder had it trued and it’s been fine since.

· Registered
2022 Ibis Ripmo AF 2020 Intense Tazer MX Expert
323 Posts
I have 2 sets of EX 511s one with Industry 9 Hydra hubs and a set with Factor hubs on my ebike. I also run Cush Core in both sets. CC is a fantastic addition to protect your rims and you can run lower pressure. I cased a jump on the ebike and broke the tire a Maxis Minion DHR 2.8. I thought the rim was bent but it was perfect.

· Registered
10,244 Posts
In the last 3 months I've managed heavily damage 2 rims (1 I've already replaced). This second time I was also running a rimpact pro. So hit me with you suggestions for the most durable rim.
Current rim is an alexrim something something. Aka a wheel of cheese.

View attachment 1951015
Out of curiosity how much do you weigh, and what pressure do you typically set your tires to at the beginning of a ride?

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Out of curiosity how much do you weigh, and what pressure do you typically set your tires to at the beginning of a ride?
Roughly 72ish kg, bike weighs 22.2kg most of that weight is over the back wheel. I Normally run around 17-19 PSI in the front and about 20 - 25 in the rear. However, at that point in time, I had a slow leak and had just pumped it up. Im guessing i had somewhere between 20 - 30 PSI in the rear.

Now if I say that I only run 45 PSI in my fork - (180mm Yari - upgraded from 160 and a 29er wheel from 27.5). Does that alarm anyone?

· Registered
2,697 Posts
Roughly 72ish kg, bike weighs 22.2kg most of that weight is over the back wheel. I Normally run around 17-19 PSI in the front and about 20 - 25 in the rear. However, at that point in time, I had a slow leak and had just pumped it up. Im guessing i had somewhere between 20 - 30 PSI in the rear.

Now if I say that I only run 45 PSI in my fork - (180mm Yari - upgraded from 160 and a 29er wheel from 27.5). Does that alarm anyone?
What casing are the tires?

I'm ~85kg, but ride a lighter bike, so my total system weight isn't all that far off of yours.

With an EXO casing in the rear, I got rim damage, and severe tire squirm with less than 25-30psi. My first rim dent was actually in an EXO casing with about 25-30psi in the rear.

I've since changed the rear tire to a Michelin Wild Enduro Rear tire, in something somewhat similar to a Double Down (Maxxis term for "more than trail casing, but less than downhill") casing. And now with a tannus tubeless insert, I run between ~20psi in the winter (lower speeds, lots of wet roots), and 28-30psi (higher speeds, visiting places with rocky trails) in the summer. I haven't had any damage since (I also upgraded wheels after both of those, and the rims have no damage).

Which is a long way of saying... depending on the casings of your tire, those pressures may still be pretty low.

That fork pressure does seem pretty low as well. I run a 170mm Yari, with about double that pressure. HOWEVER, I just serviced mine, and when I checked the pressure on it before I did it, I'd actually lost a fair bit of pressure ( I was down around ~55psi, from my normal 85-90psi), and I guess because I was coming up on the service interval for the fork, the extra stiction had made it seem similar enough I hadn't noticed. So you may try servicing your fork.

· Trail Ninja
6,693 Posts
Tairin makes a fairly thick-walled rim that somehow is still EX511 weight. No clue how, unless the pictured cut-away is an i20mm cutaway rather than i30.

Compare it to a Newmen EG30 rim, which markets itself as the market leader on impact resistance (for their weight range, esp for 1-sided rim damage):

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.