Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI,
I have a standard quick release on the rear of my Gemini. I want to use a bolt through
axel instead, but the ones Ive seen are a tad bit too short, only about 1/8th inch threads though on the othe side. Does anyone make a something I can replace the QR with? I dont thing cheap-o bolt throughs consider the wider drop outs on good quality bikes.....
Thanks!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Your LBS should be able to get a longer axel that will fit. I had to get one from a tandem bike application. I have a 2003 gemini which had the QR. I think I have the original bag for the axle at home. I'll look and post the actual width.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info! Very helpfull...CN

rpowell said:
Your LBS should be able to get a longer axel that will fit. I had to get one from a tandem bike application. I have a 2003 gemini which had the QR. I think I have the original bag for the axle at home. I'll look and post the actual width.
Thanks very much!
CN

·
Registered
77 Posts
You need LONGER than the 180 used for the shimano hub. I think that its around 200mm for the next longer axel. I am using the longer axel on my Cannondale hub, which came stock on my 2003 Gemini. If I can remember when I get home I can give you the part#. Remove your rear wheel and measure across from the outside of one dropout to the outside of the other, you'll see that 180mm isn't enough length once you put the washers and track nuts on there. The Gemini drop outs are very thick.

·
Chillin the Most
4,025 Posts
rpowell said:
You need LONGER than the 180 used for the shimano hub. I think that its around 200mm for the next longer axel. I am using the longer axel on my Cannondale hub, which came stock on my 2003 Gemini. If I can remember when I get home I can give you the part#. Remove your rear wheel and measure across from the outside of one dropout to the outside of the other, you'll see that 180mm isn't enough length once you put the washers and track nuts on there. The Gemini drop outs are very thick.
Technically it may be a 187mm, but most parts books list it at 180. Anyhow, what info I gave him is correct. I've done 5 of these conversions in the last 2 months, I've got my info covered, thanks. ;)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for info...

red5 said:
Technically it may be a 187mm, but most parts books list it at 180. Anyhow, what info I gave him is correct. I've done 5 of these conversions in the last 2 months, I've got my info covered, thanks. ;)
If you have a specific part number that would be great....
thanks for all the help! Its only $20 so if by chance I get the wrong one I can
eat it or just exchange it. I am planning to do this to the Cannondale Wind hub...
Christian

·
Chillin the Most
4,025 Posts
Christian said:
If you have a specific part number that would be great....
thanks for all the help! Its only $20 so if by chance I get the wrong one I can
eat it or just exchange it. I am planning to do this to the Cannondale Wind hub...
Christian
Wheels Manufacturing part# - AXLE-20
Description - 187 mm length. 10 mm x 1 thread

Your LBS should be able to order it through any supplier QBP, BTI, etc.

You will also need track nuts

Wheels Mfg part# 101-AN
Description - 10x1mm

·
Registered
77 Posts
When I recieved my first axel, which was the 187, not disputing the 180/187 thing we are on the same page on that one, It was not long enough. I could have gotten a shorter axel that was mis-marked as a 187. I did not measure it, I took it back and ordered a longer one. The 187 should work, the Gemini dropouts are 6"(150mm) outside to outside. One track nut measures 11mm, one washer measures 3mm,multiply everything by 2 and you get 28mm. That leaves you 4.5mm per side. It should work, I must have gotten a misfit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.