Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

When you look at chainring bolts at places like SRP etc., they list a BMX 10 piece Ti or Alum bolt set. I'm guessing it's "BMX" because there is only one chainring in the front, which probably makes the bolts a bit shorter, correct? I have a Rohloff hub and only use one outer ring.

Do you guys think the shorter BMX bolts are what I need? I've ordered two sets from SRP, but I did not request the "BMX" bolts. I did measure the steel bolts I'm using now, and I thought they were 8mm - I think I may have been off a mm or so. Are the BMX bolts generally 7mm in length?

Thanks,

SDW

·
All 26.5" all the time!
1,855 Posts
It's the nuts that are generally shorter on BMX/track chainring bolt sets.

If you end up with a bolt set for a double crankset, you can use 10mm x 3mm tall axle spacers (from Wheels Mfg.) behind the longer, 'double' length nut, to fasten a single ring.

·
Loose Nut Behind d' Wheel
1,490 Posts
swalters said:
Hello,

When you look at chainring bolts at places like SRP etc., they list a BMX 10 piece Ti or Alum bolt set. I'm guessing it's "BMX" because there is only one chainring in the front, which probably makes the bolts a bit shorter, correct? I have a Rohloff hub and only use one outer ring.

Do you guys think the shorter BMX bolts are what I need? I've ordered two sets from SRP, but I did not request the "BMX" bolts. I did measure the steel bolts I'm using now, and I thought they were 8mm - I think I may have been off a mm or so. Are the BMX bolts generally 7mm in length?

Thanks,

SDW
I have two leftover BMX chainring bolts in the parts bin. One has 8mm threads and one has 6mm threads. Both have 5mm nuts. The remaining 4 of each are in service holding single middle rings to std mtb cranks. The one with 8mm threads will just reach a little further into the nut. For a single ring, BMX bolts are what you need unless you want to run spacers like the other poster mentioned.

Four of those bolts are here:

Kathy :^)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So there really is no standard sized..........

Lucky said:
I have two leftover BMX chainring bolts in the parts bin. One has 8mm threads and one has 6mm threads. Both have 5mm nuts. The remaining 4 of each are in service holding single middle rings to std mtb cranks. The one with 8mm threads will just reach a little further into the nut. For a single ring, BMX bolts are what you need unless you want to run spacers like the other poster mentioned.

BMX bolt, as you have a 6mm and an 8mm, correct? Bolts I ordered from SRP were 8mm, I believe, and they did not fit. I suppose I will order a set of either 6 or 7 mm - that should do it.

Thanks,
SDW

·
All 26.5" all the time!
1,855 Posts
Lucky said:

That's one kick-ass cruiser you got there, Kathy. :cool:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.