Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone recommend a good bolt on skewer?

How about these from IRD? Any one with personal experiencewith these?

http://www.interlocracing.com/platinumskewers.html

I've repeatedly broken the cheaper varieties. And the last set I got gave a max torque of 7N. Not much as far as I can tell.

The best option, by far, are Paul Word bolt on front hubs. However, I still have a few front hubs that are standard QR setups. I've noticed that the bolt on set up makes a much stiffer front end, and I'm all about that.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

·
Sofa King We Todd Did
2,262 Posts
I was running the Nashbar bolt-on skewers on my Surly 1x1 for a while - they work quite well if you aren't terribly hamfisted - but after one thing led to another, I swapped out the quick-release axles on my 1x1 and Karate Monkey to 10mm solid axles with track nuts.

The Nashbar skewers - while cheap (around $10) and work well enough - can be a bit dodgy. Sometimes you order a set and you'll end up a rear skewer that's not long enough, like it was made for a 130mm road hub, despite what the packaging says.

I have noticed the solid feel in the rear with the solid axle. Maybe a solid axle will work better than a bolt-on skewer?

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like to think it offers a stronger hub-fork interface...

pvd said:
what is the advantage of a 'bolt on skewer' over a standard quick release?

is it just a security thing?

if i can't run a skraxel then i run a through axle. Performance, light weight, and convienence.
Seems like you should be able to torque a bolt on more than a QR. I could be totally wrong on that one. I'm a huge fan of thru axels but don't run a squishy fork on my bikes currently. They all have rigid steel forks. I'm probably splitting hairs though as a rigid steel fork is, well, pretty rigid and flex free anyway. But, I have had steel forks with a lot of give and they did "give" a little in the wrong way during hard turns.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
703 Posts
The problem with the skraxle is that the QR mechanism has way too much friction. You can't get it tight enough unless you want to put a cheater bar in the QR lever.

·
Registered
703 Posts
It is a good idea, just poorly executed. Specialized (or whoever made it) did not use a good bushing material. A friend had a new end cap made out of brass for his and it is much better.

pvd said:
never a problem with mine. shouldn't be any less than a traditional skewer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.