Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure of this is the correct forum for this question.. I ride rigid most of the time and had a set of wheels built on BMX hubs with hollow axles. I want to convert the front hub to a QR so I can throw on a suspension fork for an upcoming ride with BIG downhills. Can I just cut down the axle and insert a QR skewer? This just seems too simple. Second thought.. Could I just bolt the wheel to the suspension fork? I'm afraid that if I crank down the axle nuts on a suspension fork I could crush the aluminum dropouts. Thanks for the input!

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
You can use bolt on axle hubs on a suspension fork. Just make sure you don't use a serrated washer directly against the fork dropouts or you may grind some material away as you tighten and loosen them. toss a thin washer in there and use a split lockwasher between the flat washer and the nut.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How tight should I bring the nut down? The hub has a huge surface where the hub meets the inside of the lower and I'm using a thin washer in between the nut and the lower so I think I'll be fine.

Thanks - I really don't want to bum up a brand new fork

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Tighten the axle bolts to the same torque as you did for BMX. You won't crush the alloy fork ends. Your main concern is scoring them either with the corners of the bolt or the wrench, and a decent quality washer will prevent that.

BTW, I'm not a fan of split washers for this application. They're not needed, front wheels have been bolted on for over 100 years without them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.