Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Combat Wombat
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I kept having problems with my Paul hub slipping in the dropouts on my Vicious Cycles fork. Not alot and not consistent, but enough so that occasionally I have had to loosen the QR and re-align everything. I just replaced the Salsa skewer with an old Shimano steel QR I had lying around and that seems to have fixed the problem for now. However the only reason I ever remove a front wheel is to fix a flat, so I have been thinking about replacing the QR with something that bolts on. I have read several of the posts and know that more than a couple people here use bolt-on skewers, however they really do not seem that much stronger than a typical QR. I know that Paul makes a bolt-on axle for my hub and was wondering if anyone has any experience with it and what everyone's thoughts are on this setup.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Brian,

I have the exact same setup as you it sounds. Paul Hub, Salsa skewer and Vicious fork. I solved it with a seratted washer on the disc side of the hub. Place the washer between the QR and the fork. I can still make the wheel move if I pull a hard stoppie, but other than that it stays put now.

MC

·
Registered
99 Posts
I ran a bolt-on Paul FHUB for a couple years and it worked fine for me, nice hub, but I used it mostly to aesthetically match the rear hub. The problem I had was with the rear hub: the brass washer teeth would mash out and not hold in my horizontals, requiring me to use tugs. If you are experiencing slip in your front hub (from disc forces?) using a properly tensioned QR, then I would not expect the brass washers to hold much better, regardless of the greater force afforded by bolts. Maybe as previously suggested find some harder serrated washers?

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,471 Posts
They are the King Daddy!!!

No joke, Paul's bolt on front hubs are super solid. Not only will your wheel remain in place but you fork will likely track better. I have 2 of the hubs and they are my #1 choice for a front hub. King bolt on out back, Paul bolt on up front. It doesn't get any better!

Mike

·
Combat Wombat
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info.

Miker J said:
No joke, Paul's bolt on front hubs are super solid. Not only will your wheel remain in place but you fork will likely track better. I have 2 of the hubs and they are my #1 choice for a front hub. King bolt on out back, Paul bolt on up front. It doesn't get any better!

Mike
I am not sure what I am going to do. With this great weather in OK right now, it looks like I have some time to think about it. Mike, where did you get your bolt-on axles? I have seen them on the Paul website, but have not been able to find them anywhere else.

Brian

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,471 Posts
Hubs...

BrianU said:
I am not sure what I am going to do. With this great weather in OK right now, it looks like I have some time to think about it. Mike, where did you get your bolt-on axles? I have seen them on the Paul website, but have not been able to find them anywhere else.

Brian
I got mine built into the wheelset I had got from Mike Curiak (lacemine29). Speedgoat.com should be able to hook you up as well if you want to build your own wheel. Seems that most shops can order Paul Word hubs pretty easily though.

Mike

·
viva la v-brakes!
2,444 Posts
The problem with most bolt on skewers these days is that most aren't that durable. Some of the cheap ones (like Delta Axlerodz) will either have crappy steel rods that snap under pressure or soft aluminum nuts that strip out. A few of the Ti ones work better, but the Al nuts will probably still be too soft for your needs.

The only one that I THINK will serve your purpose (and mine) might be the IRD Platinum skewers (http://www.interlocracing.com/platinumskewers.html). Kind of hard to tell how strong the knurling is from the photos, but they look sturdy and sexy enough for me.

·
In FTF We Trust
1,815 Posts
You've found the best solution to your problem-the Shimano quick release. The Shimano design is the best by far (the older QRs in particular). Give it a chance before you decide to make your life more complicated.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.