Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
kona-tize me captain
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know where i can buy a bolt on axel for my shimano xt rear hub? or can u not get them for ur rear? this is a picture of one that i got from TNC a while ago/

Attachments

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
4,657 Posts
Lbs...

Any decent bike shop should have them. Probably $15 for the axle and nuts. It's an easy install if you have the tools, otherwise you are at the mercy of the shop's schedule and labor prices.

Thread: 10x26tpi for Shimano. Use your existing cones.

JMH

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
They're stiffer.

If you do it yourself, just pretty much remember how you took things out, and put them in with the new axle the same way. Pump it full of grease. And tighten things down, but no so much that it won't spin freely.

Any LBS SHOULD have them.

·
kona-tize me captain
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
XSL_WiLL said:
They're stiffer.

If you do it yourself, just pretty much remember how you took things out, and put them in with the new axle the same way. Pump it full of grease. And tighten things down, but no so much that it won't spin freely.

Any LBS SHOULD have them.
im guessing since there stiffer then Qr they should be stronger also?

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
saviorself said:
why would you use those over qr? is the an advantage?
stronger I bent 3 of those QR's on my Big Hit and then switched to the bolt with no problems

FYI....I think that is a 20 inch dirt jumping axle

G

·
Didnt know you could switch from qr to bolt on... my buddy just broke his qr axle... maybe this is the way to go..

·
Chillin the Most
4,025 Posts
when and if your LBS f*cks up ordering you one, give UnrealCycles a call they a have kit for $20. It's simple a h#ll to do.

BTW, just so you know it's a 187mm x 10mm axle w/ a 1mm pitch thread. And makes sure you get some nice track nuts.

Track nuts.

Unreal Cycles kit:

·
Now riding Fox Shox!
479 Posts
A QR axle is the same thing, except hollow for the skewer. The Solid axle setup is way better IMO (stiffer, stronger). As for tools, it helps to have an axle vice and cone wrenches, as well as a magnetic parts dish for ball bearings.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I agree, bolt on's definitely the way to go. I got mine same as everyone else, $15 at my LBS. They let me do it right then with their tools free of charge.

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
Bolt on is the way to go. Made a big diference on how stiff the rear of my bullit was.

Shimano rear hub is 10 x 1(not 10x26tpi) and atleast 180 long. Conversion should cost $15-20 per wheel.

·
hands up who wants to die
1,405 Posts
Anyone know the proper size/length of solid axle for the front Deore Disc hub?

thanks

-r

·
e.f.f.e.c.t smoothoperatr
2,300 Posts
i ahve a wheelset that im selling wit ha 10mm axle. its so anoying because i barely see any wheels or frames that accept the 10mm axle i have, except for the profile racing dr1 i used to have

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.