Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first serious entry MTB, i bought it in 2006 and am finally upgrading some components. Below is what it came with stock. I'm thinking the Marzocchi 44 TST2 for a fork, Avid Juicy 7 disk for the front brakes, not sure on the rear derailleur if i want SRAM X9, or to stick with shimano so i dont have to replace the trigger/brake setup. Any input in appreciated. I already have Redline XCE500 disk compatible wheels, and a new Kenda Excavator rear tire, I dont necessarily want the best/most expensive, but the best for the price. thanks!

Fork Spinner Grind OS, 100mm travel
Crankset Truvativ X-Flow 3.0, 42/32/22
Bottom bracket Truvativ cartridge sealed
Shifters Shimano EF50 EZ-FIRE Plus
Front derailleur Shimano Altus FD-M310
Rear derailleur Shimano Acera
Rear cogs Shimano HG30, 11-32, 8-speed
Brakes Alloy linear pull
Brake levers Forged alloy
Rims Alex TA-20
Front hub Alloy 32 hole
Rear hub Alloy 32 hole
Tires Kenda Koyote 26x2.1
Handlebar Alloy double butted
Stem Alloy threadless
Seat post Alloy micro adjust
Saddle WTB Speed V Sport LE
Pedals Composite
Headset Ritchey LB
Chain HG40

·
Registered
72 Posts
The new der will work fine with the stock shifters. Eventually upgrading the shifters probably wouldn't be a bad idea just for better performance. Since the bike is an 06 I would think that the chain and rear cassette are probably pretty worn and the new der would shift better with a fresh chain.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2003 Bolinas Ridge and its been and still is a great little Hardtail.
I must say i think the 2003 has a excellecnt lightweight frame and a realy nice finish,i asume yours is too.I cant believe my bike is already 8 years old as it still looks fairly new.Ive always kept it indoors.
I guess The Bolinas Ridge is a great bike to buy if your just getting into Mouintain Biking as there's plenty of scope for upgrading.
I dont have alot of money so here's what my upgrade is,havnt gone as far as getting discs but am deffinatly thinking of upgrading.
Ok so he worst think about he 2003 were the plastic pedals and the shimano acera front and rear mechs didn't stand up to much.Shifting became poor after 1000 miles or so and the chain regulary came off.
Here what i did

Fork - Marzocchi RLO 44 2011 (140ml travel)
Front Mech - Shimano SLX
Rear Mech - Shimano SLX
TruVativ Blaze Howitzer Crankset
Pedals - Truvativ Holzfeller
Rear Cassette & Chain changed to Shimano Deore
Seat - WTB Pure V
Hope quick release seat clamp
Bontrager Grips with Hope Grip Doctors
Wheels changed to Shimano (Unsure of exact set/model)
Tyres - Schwarble Nobby Nic Evolution

1 - 7 of 7 Posts