Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have info on the routes used for the any of the courses (hill climb, 8 hour, and enduro) or gps tracks? I have never ridden there before, and because of a drunken bet am doing the whole 3 day event so would like to do a ride there before the race to get familiar with the course. Thanks.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Does anyone have info on the routes used for the any of the courses (hill climb, 8 hour, and enduro) or gps tracks? I have never ridden there before, and because of a drunken bet am doing the whole 3 day event so would like to do a ride there before the race to get familiar with the course. Thanks.
Would like some course beta too. Doing the whole 3-day tour as well.

·
Registered
3,746 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
A couple of us will be up at Boggs this Sunday at 10am (near the start/finish line by the campsites). We'll be practicing the race loop, if anyone wants to join us. We won't be very fast, but we can show you the route.

·
Registered
665 Posts
So wait last time I did Boggs hr back in like 2010 or 2011 the route was as you described but we rode all the way up gails to 540 and only used 500 for the first lap to spread the field. Now your telling me they have us on the fire road the whole race?

·
Registered
665 Posts
A couple of us will be up at Boggs this Sunday at 10am (near the start/finish line by the campsites). We'll be practicing the race loop, if anyone wants to join us. We won't be very fast, but we can show you the route.
I to will be there but I'll probably get there a bit earlier and be riding a bit faster then most would call casual. I'll be doing several laps to get a feel for my SS gearing so if you guys see an orange Niner say hi.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks - I am going to try and get there, although probably later than 10am. Hope to see you out there.

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
The last two years, the first lap started on the fire road to accommodate the big group of riders, and the subsequent laps started on Gails and then went onto the fire road until you start the first climb up Bogg's Peak singletrack.

·
Registered
665 Posts
The last two years, the first lap started on the fire road to accommodate the big group of riders, and the subsequent laps started on Gails and then went onto the fire road until you start the first climb up Bogg's Peak singletrack.
That's lame, I remember a time when we didn't avoid the fun single tracks at every turn :(

I did the 24hr years ago and it was a 10 mile loop that came down Gail's the whole way and still included a bunch of single track in the back half. I did it again the following year and it was totally different with a lot more fire road and after 8hrs I said **** it and left. I just couldn't get into a course that wasn't fun and engaging. I'm not sure what possessed me to enter Boggs this year after they dumbed down their courses several years ago, maybe a lapse of memory on my part. Well I'm entered so ill just have to make the best of it.

Don't let my whining and *****ing ruin your mood, I'm just picky and die a little inside every time I ride a fire road that parallels a sweet single track.

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
I don't really mind how they have it set up. Especially at the start, I'd rather be on a fire road with several hundred riders than on a single track conga line. This way you get a mile or so to spread people out.

·
my body breaks the falls
1,457 Posts
drunken bet am doing the whole 3 day event
Coincidentally, I bet I'll be drunk for the whole 3 day event.

As for the course, conditions and forest management may change the selected route at any time. One year (2011?) it was almost all fire roads due to the mud and snow leading up to race day. Even with changes that include a bit more fire road, it's hard to not enjoy the pines.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't really mind how they have it set up. Especially at the start, I'd rather be on a fire road with several hundred riders than on a single track conga line. This way you get a mile or so to spread people out.
So does the course follow 500 to 540 for every lap, or just the 1st lap with subsequent laps going all the way along Gails to 540 ? Thanks.

·
Registered
665 Posts
So does the course follow 500 to 540 for every lap, or just the 1st lap with subsequent laps going all the way along Gails to 540 ? Thanks.
In 2010 it only used 500 on the first lap and all following laps where Gail's all the way. 2011 was a cluster due to rain so that doesn't count and 2012-2013 also started on 500 for the start and all following laps peeled off Gail's at the first chance and climbed 500 to 540.

I rode out there yesterday and saw around 10 riders pre-riding last years course. I think the only part of the course I rode in the correct direct was Jethro's and 200. I grabbed a map and laced together a nice 18 mile loop with all the good stuff and minimal fire road. I did 3 laps with my 34-18 gearing and I learned several things.

1. Don't do a running race before a fast endurance ride
2. Road 600 makes 200 feel flat
3. 34-18 is to ****ing tall to climb Game trail cleanly a third time but worth it to ride Stinger down.
4. I love Creek Trail and Big springs more then I remember.

If anyone want to join me and a buddy for my 18 mile route in the next two weekends let me know. Well most likely be ridding at my friends 8hr upper sport class pace so it won't be fast but we'll try and keep things moving. Well probably do laps plus on lap on last years course so you guys can bail after the first lap or whenever.

Loop was
creek
Interpretive up
Mac's
Hoberg's
Boggs ridge
Karen's
Scout
Jethro's
Grizzly
Stinger
Game
Berrys
Crew
Johns
Big springs
Ball cap
Bear bones
High point
Boggs peak
Gail's
Finish

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
In 2010 it only used 500 on the first lap and all following laps where Gail's all the way. 2011 was a cluster due to rain so that doesn't count and 2012-2013 also started on 500 for the start and all following laps peeled off Gail's at the first chance and climbed 500 to 540.
Thanks. I can see why they use the FR sections - the trails are narrow, very limited opportunities to pass on ST.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.