Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm heading there pretty soon and was wondering what everyones experience is out there. I'm not the strongest of riders unfortunately, but I'm getting better. I still get a little freaked out when I see a steep drop and don't know what to expect along the trail (to say nothing about what lies at the bottom). It might sound weird for people to read me saying this but "I live for the uphill climbs".

·
NedwannaB
12,771 Posts
"Pretty soon" as in?.....

CTVirtue_Rider said:
I'm heading there pretty soon and was wondering what everyones experience is out there. I'm not the strongest of riders unfortunately, but I'm getting better. I still get a little freaked out when I see a steep drop and don't know what to expect along the trail (to say nothing about what lies at the bottom). It might sound weird for people to read me saying this but "I live for the uphill climbs".
Today or near future?:confused: Page UncleMTB (he may be looking in on this thread anyway) for a personal tour if he's available. Sorry Tim, just making sure you're getting out and about up there too :p!

Plenty varity of trail conditions up there to enjoy. I'd say the most "tech" trail would be Houghton Creek that starts off across from Calso Camp or from the staging area by the heli pad as you first come in off Hwy 175.

·
Registered
52 Posts
"Creek" trail from the parking lot is probably the most technical and challenging. Not too many expert trails or anything that some good lungs couldn't get up. Back side of Boggs has a good double black diamond "Charlies". Lower your seat :) What i've seen theres not that much traffic on that trail and there is lots of pine needles but the fun/scare factor is good! Hoberg's Loop, Mac's, shakers, crew, grizzly, etc. Connect some of these and you'll have a good ride :)

·
Registered
208 Posts
I've been there a couple times now, and can't wait to get back (wont be till after the new year) been on most trails except for the one mentioned above "charlies". it's a great place to ride.

·
singletrack bound
3,000 Posts
Charlie's was quite a surprise after doing most of the trail system we stumbled upon Charlie's and Sheesh! get behind your saddle and hang on! :D
Hobergs and Gails were fun.....

·
Registered
113 Posts
I absolutely love boggs. You will too. It is the bomb! Lots of swoopy fast singletrack. Some fun surprises. Seems like the only one that got me was the creek crossing at the bottom of... houghton's creek, perhaps. I'm really bad with trail names.

But, I'm not really sure what trail conditions will be this time of year, but please report back 'cause if they're good maybe I'll have to make a trip there between xmas and NY.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I was up there a few weeks back after a rain and the place hold up really well except for the fire roads. The back side is awesome, Jethro's and Game are sweet. Don't let the black diamonds scare you on those. Only really steep in a couple of places and maybe a four inch drop at one point. After that, by the time you get back up to the parking lot, you may not like climbing so much.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Boggs is great. The steep stuff can be very steep, but not that technical. The technical stuff isn't too steep, so it works out well. It should be ok now, but often when it's just kind of cold down here, it's freezing (or snowing) up there, so it's a good idea to check ahead of time.

·
Registered
358 Posts
It snows up there -- I'd check the conditions. Went up there last winter, and everything was covered in 2 feet of snow. I couldn't find the singletrack, and did a bunch of snow riding on the fireroads. Still, plenty of fun.

That creek trail has a few rocky areas that are difficult to clean (impossible for me), and I left some blood on the rocks last spring. Other than that, every trail I rode there was super fun singletrack, not super technical. I love that place -- I'd live up there if I could...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Charlies

On Charlies trail take it from Dusty's or road 542. If you can get up Charlies from the spring, i mean UP, straight UP i will buy you a beer!!! Its too far from the base to clean the trail and be able to respond quickly so that trail is always "dirty" I had a guy go over his handle-bars three different times, HILARIOUS! Its worth it if you can get there. Then connect big springs, john's, crew, berry's, etc. Ride Boggs every morning and night! Best job in the world :)

·
Birthday Collector
2,610 Posts
Boggs rocks - it is all-round good stuff. Uber-tough for me to get all the way around that place on my SS without walking a couple of the steeper sections of a couple climbs - but that is always a reason to go back - some day it might happen... As far as tech - there isn't a lot of hard tech - a few spots that induce a bit of pucker, but if you get to it, and are not confident enough to roll it, then walk and get back on. As your skills improve you will go back and ride the sections you didn't before. Better to ride 99% of the stuff than make it half-way around and have to walk the rest 'cause you or the bike is broken... Don't back down from a challenging section if you think you might be able to do it, but if you see something that totally intimidates you, use your head. Supposed to be nice Xmas Eve and Xmas Day.

·
Registered
208 Posts
ok that's it all this talk is makin me want to go ride, I should be able to get a couple things done before Christmas that I need to do so as it stands now I think I'll get a chance to ride on Christmas Eve

·
Propr
1,192 Posts
+1 for UncleMTB

He is great...showed me and my friends around the place...and even had lunch with us after the ride.

I'd love to go back and experience more of the place and bring a different bike or be in a little better shape. I made the ride but started cramping toward the end...which I'm just prone to do. Think we did about 18miles and it was great!

If you like climbing and some great single track you'll be fine. I don't remember anything being too steep.

·
Registered
53 Posts
We were there about a month ago, lots a leaves on the trails and a little slippery. If you go, make sure you go clockwise. We started counter clockwise and did a lot of climbing with really short and steep descents. I won't mention who, but one of us was not really happy, huh Chris??

Anyways, really great trail system with lots of excellent single track. Too bad it's 2 1/2 hours away from Sac.

Although, if you go, make sure to stop at Calistoga Inn Brewery. Damn good beer and excellent food. Was the defining point in our ride home!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It was a good ride! Charlie's trail was a little leary. Two of the drops were a bit insane but overall, it was a good experience. Although, I will admit, it was very slippery along some parts of the trail and along the fire roads. The pine needles didn't make finding the trails any easier not to mention the rocks that were hiding under them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts