Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there

I am just trying to decide what body protection to buy for BP days. I want to use it under the dress, so I don't want anything bulky.

It's basically only Leatt protection, maybe Alpinestar. Let's just put aside that these equipment is expensive af..

But anyway. I am deciding between:

Body Protector 3DF AirFit - complex body armour, Level 2 back and chest, shoulders, elbows. Expensive

Or just
Body Tee 3DF AirFit Lite - level 1 back, chest shoulder and wear extra elbow pads

Or just only
Body Vest 3DF AirFit - level 2 back and chest, without shoulders, with extra elbow pads

Reason why I am considering options is that if I buy the whole jacket with everything, something can move differently, pads will not hold on position and I will be pissed.

Also I don't know if I need shoulder pads with this style of protection. Ok, if I have a crash, a shoulder can get pretty hard time. But broken bones on this place is more because of compression. I don't count bruises and scratches. It will happen anyway.

That vest is probably the most lightest protection but also less protective for shoulders.

Does anyone here have experience and advice what would be optimal? I am also open to different options (available in Europe)

Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there

I am just trying to decide what body protection to buy for BP days. I want to use it under the dress, so I don't want anything bulky.

It's basically only Leatt protection, maybe Alpinestar. Let's just put aside that these equipment is expensive af..

But anyway. I am deciding between:

Body Protector 3DF AirFit - complex body armour, Level 2 back and chest, shoulders, elbows. Expensive

Or just
Body Tee 3DF AirFit Lite - level 1 back, chest shoulder and wear extra elbow pads

Or just only
Body Vest 3DF AirFit - level 2 back and chest, without shoulders, with extra elbow pads

Reason why I am considering options is that if I buy the whole jacket with everything, something can move differently, pads will not hold on position and I will be pissed.

Also I don't know if I need shoulder pads with this style of protection. Ok, if I have a crash, a shoulder can get pretty hard time. But broken bones on this place is more because of compression. I don't count bruises and scratches. It will happen anyway.

That vest is probably the most lightest protection but also less protective for shoulders.

Does anyone here have experience and advice what would be optimal? I am also open to different options (available in Europe)

Thanks!
My friend was driving KTM RC at approx 125-130 km/hr on highway and suddenly his accedent was happened. When woke up next morning at hospital doctor said to him your one hand had broken but he was not ready to accept that his one arm's bone has fracture and start pushups and he was trying to prove that he is normal right now he is well enough as compared to previous situation. I think u have got what I mean.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I have a Leatt Body Vest 3DF AirFit Lite, that I pair with a pair of the Shoulder Tee 3DF AirFit Lite. I wear them with my kneepads/elbow pads that I usually wear. I got it as another level of protection to wear if/when I go to the bike park. I have worn them separately, on occasion, usually in cooler weather. I think my largest day of riding in the full set was ~1500ft of climbing and like 12 miles or something like that.

Honestly, they are pretty comfortable. The vest rides kind of like... a backpack with no weight in it? Once you've got on, and are riding around, you don't really notice it much. But the back coverage + the chest coverage is a bit warmer than nothing of course. But for either cooler weather where that might be a benefit, or when you're riding shuttle/lift access, I don't think it would bother me at all to wear all day. Kind of the same thing with the shoulder pads. They feel somewhat akward to wear right after you put them on, but after a minute, they disappear. And they're very breathable. I've worn them in warmish temps (~75f ish?) and haven't had any complaints.

I got them a year and a half ago when they were on clearance ( I think I paid $75 total for both?), and options were somewhat limited, or I likely would have I gotten something like the Body Protector/Body Protector Tee Airflex Stealth, or Body Tee 3DF Airfit lite.

Also, I know a few other brands make protective gear. But you're right, Leatt is the big player in this market. But from my experience so far, I'd buy them again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts