Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey gus
i'dlike to knowwhat type of extra body protection do you use on your rides.

i dont need to protect myself from flying rocks and stuff cos i dont do major downhill speed runs
but i'd like some ideas on arm wrist and shoulder protection.

training wheels just came off

·
Registered
858 Posts
Helmet...

IS all you should need really, glasses are helpful I wish I had mine on at the last race I was at as it was kind of bright that morning... Riding shoes generally have hard toe caps, go clipless if you aren't already, sounds stupid but the shoes will protect your feet abit. Gloves are usefull for protecting your hands during falls.

Aside from that I wouldn't bother with extra padding, unless attempting insain technical sections. It will just effect your mobility more than your confidants on the bike.

·
Get your freak on!
2,696 Posts
Agree with culbair.
If you are feeling like you want more protection after that, then some light weight knee/shin and elbow/forearm pads will do you nicely for the more 'extreme' rides.
For those of you that remember him, Andy Tychon who was a regualr poster here a couple of weeks ago, came off in a race and screwed up his knee insanely bad, he can't even walk properly. And I' sure he possibly would have been able to walk away from it if he were wearing some knee guards......
Moment of silence for Andy.....:)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
CulBaire said:
IS all you should need really, glasses are helpful I wish I had mine on at the last race I was at as it was kind of bright that morning... Riding shoes generally have hard toe caps, go clipless if you aren't already, sounds stupid but the shoes will protect your feet abit. Gloves are usefull for protecting your hands during falls.

Aside from that I wouldn't bother with extra padding, unless attempting insain technical sections. It will just effect your mobility more than your confidants on the bike.
I always wear a helmut!...gloves and glasses(clear lense in the dark) My SpD shoes aren't heavy toes, but i cant see the logic in SPD sandals :eek:
i had a look in a LBS and they had armour but it was all hard plastic, i was looking for some neoprene / rubbery style "sleeves".

·
Get your freak on!
2,696 Posts
Buzlytyr said:
I always wear a helmut!...gloves and glasses(clear lense in the dark) My SpD shoes aren't heavy toes, but i cant see the logic in SPD sandals :eek:
i had a look in a LBS and they had armour but it was all hard plastic, i was looking for some neoprene / rubbery style "sleeves".
The hard plastic is better. The sleeve stuff is made more for proction against scratches. But if youdo come down hard you will get hurt! Hard plastics are actually made to 'slide' on impact, so you possibly won't get as hurt.
I reccomend you looking around for some highly breatheable lightweight armour. I don't use mine much(haven't for a lONG time), but I have Dainese Leg/knee guards which are crazy light and breatheable, yet strong enough that lots of DH pros use em. And it's italian!

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nice carpet

bike_freak said:
The hard plastic is better. The sleeve stuff is made more for proction against scratches. But if youdo come down hard you will get hurt! Hard plastics are actually made to 'slide' on impact, so you possibly won't get as hurt.
I reccomend you looking around for some highly breatheable lightweight armour. I don't use mine much(haven't for a lONG time), but I have Dainese Leg/knee guards which are crazy light and breatheable, yet strong enough that lots of DH pros use em. And it's italian!
thats some plush rug!
I dont get into any Dhill stuff im trying to get a bit of protection but not wanting to have to carry too much extra weight. The Leg things are ..not what i'm chasing.

Guys its good to get all sorts of feedback,Thanks... the LBS guys suck usually although i found one thats ok for info but hell on the wallet! Whats new.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Like they said...

Buzlytyr said:
hey gus
i'dlike to knowwhat type of extra body protection do you use on your rides.

i dont need to protect myself from flying rocks and stuff cos i dont do major downhill speed runs
but i'd like some ideas on arm wrist and shoulder protection.

training wheels just came off
For most riding (for me at least), only a helmet. However, it is a good idea to get a hydration pack that has the ability to hold more stuff. For example, I have a Camelback MULE so that when I do feel like pretending to be a tough guy on more technical downhills, I put elbow, knee, and shin guards in my MULE behind the elastic straps and it fits perfect. In general, they do not weight that much and since they will simply be in you hydration pack they will not hamper your riding. However, you will have them when you need them if you do plan on challenging yourself.

Cheers

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
arm guards

FoShizzle said:
For most riding (for me at least), only a helmet. However, it is a good idea to get a hydration pack that has the ability to hold more stuff. For example, I have a Camelback MULE so that when I do feel like pretending to be a tough guy on more technical downhills, I put elbow, knee, and shin guards in my MULE behind the elastic straps and it fits perfect. In general, they do not weight that much and since they will simply be in you hydration pack they will not hamper your riding. However, you will have them when you need them if you do plan on challenging yourself.

Cheers
i think i came across a good idea
karate...taekwondo protective gear not heavy and will protect the bumps and grinds

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.