Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Bullit Rider
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of any bike friendly trials out the coastal way of Bodega and/ or Jenner? My wife wants to go ride this weekend, but it's going to be mid to upper 90's in Santa Rosa :( A bit too hot for her. We've done the ride to the pygmy forest (Salt Point) in the past, but I don't think she's up for that yet.

Thanks,
Clay

·
Track Junkie
1,236 Posts
Try the Bolinas Ridge trail. It's an easy fireroad that winds along the Bolinas ridge, near the coast. Try it early in the morning and climb above the fog line until the fog burns off and you can see along the coast. It is an out-and-back, unless you hook up with Hwy 1 and ride back along the Hwy.

These pictures are taken in early spring (i think).

-Brad

Attachments

·
FAST EDDY MUST DIE!!!!!!!
22 Posts
Octane said:
Try the Bolinas Ridge trail. It's an easy fireroad that winds along the Bolinas ridge, near the coast. Try it early in the morning and climb above the fog line until the fog burns off and you can see along the coast. It is an out-and-back, unless you hook up with Hwy 1 and ride back along the Hwy.

These pictures are taken in early spring (i think).

-Brad
No offense, Brad, but Bolinas Ridge is no where remotely near Bodega Bay or Jenner. Bodega is like 45 minutes North via car ride (north-west or Santa Rosa).

As for Sonoma County, I don't know much in the way of coastal trails.

·
baggin ho's
737 Posts
Yeah the trail selection isn't too great in bodega/jenner area. there are more trails in salt point that the pygmy forest, but nothing too epic. My call would be to cruise around point reyes. fairly leisurely riding with great views and lots of wildlife. take a few bottles of wine some cheese and fruit and head out to the beach at coast camp. try not to crash your drunk a$$e$ on the way home. the trails in the bodega area require an 8 hour class and a license to ride. it's a battle to get these trails open to the public so I wouldn't recommend poaching.
You can do a loop at bolinas ridge by taking the fireroad down into samuel p taylor park, riding a combo of the road and campgrounds and then climbing back up to the ridge. Bolinas ridge isn't technical but I wouldn't call it easy either.

·
Bullit Rider
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. That Bolinas trail looks pretty relaxing, and even though it's a little bit of a drive I think it's my best bet to get out to Point Reyes

Thanks,
Clay

·
baggin ho's
737 Posts
Willow creek is the area I spoke of that requires a license to ride. it is very close to being completely open and when it is it will be great. It isn't really a place to go drop in and ride with your girlfriend

·
Bullit Rider
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Octane said:
Clay

Where'd you end up riding? How was it?

-Brad
Well, with the heat rapidly hitting 100 at my place in Rohnert Park...

I ended up riding on the trainer in the air conditioned room :( At least I got to watch the end of the TDF :)

Even with the a/c, it was mid to upper 80's in the room with the trainer.

Next weekend, should be much cooler - the heat does not really get to me, but driving home in a VW bug after riding in the heat sucks.

I do appreciate all the suggestions, and I am hoping to hit Bolinas somtime in the near future. Looks like a nice area to ride.

Thanks,
Clay

1 - 10 of 10 Posts