Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year I bought a BOB Ibex suspention trailer for my Gary Fisher 129. It work very well behind the bike, and carried the hole familys luggage on some nice trip we had. My two boys of 9 and 11, and my wife love that they can just ride without any addtional weight.

I rode just the same trails as if I didn't carry any trailer, but then ofcourse I am not a jumper, and carrying both the bike, the trailer and luggage is not possible.

I have just recently order a Intense Spider 29'er FS bike. Does anybody have any experience with a trailer behind a FS 29?

Attachments

·
Dr Gadget is IN
2,378 Posts
Yep

I've been pulling a BOB Yak with my RIP9 since I got it. Usually I'm hauling trail tools, but I did one unsupported camping trip (had to haul water - YOW!) It's just like pulling a BOB always was. You have to have the 29er fork for the BOB, of course.

As a comment, I've been riding FS of the 2-short-horizontal-links type for many years - this system has a rear triangle rather than swingarm/long seatstay links configuration. Having that rear triangle gives a more solid rear end IMHO, which makes BOBing better (also IMHO). Less twist on the trail.

My max load was 2 mcleods, 2 2.5 lb head pick/mattocks, 1 5 lb head pick/mattock, and a pair of brush loppers. 40 lbs? Pulled it 6 miles while crossing 4 drainages (big arroyos).

·
Registered
71 Posts
i towed my BOB Ibex with about 50 lbs in it during my Hut to Hut ride last August. It was great. I just recently built an El Mariachi, and figured out quick that I need to get a different fork for the trailer to accomodate the 29er.

·
No Justice = No Peace
1,512 Posts
I have a question.

mtnbykr©™ said:
What did you do to get that rear wheel on there? Looks like a 26in wheel, right? You must have extended the rear as well as buying the 29er fork for the front. Does it still handle okay?

I like my BOB a lot, and don't really plan on changing it, except maybe the 29er fork. I like pulling it with a geared bike adn my 29er is a single speed.

·
Registered
28 Posts
jlschrrs said:
not trying to hijack--but has anyone done any trail riding with the non-ibex (standard) bob?
i've never used a one but i was looking at one on ebay and i asked the seller about riding trails with the rigid bob. he said he had ridden the kokopelli trail with a friend who had the one with the suspension. basically what he told me was that the guy with the suspension had a really hard time with the trailer bouncing all over the place in the singletrack, like it was too "springy." he said the rigid one did much better.

this is my first post, by the way. ...lurker no more.

·
Stubby-legged
1,339 Posts
Big whel, whoopee!

I have been looking at my Bob trailer as it hung in the garage. The little wheel is certainly a weak spot for the rocks and rrots of Central Maine.
I would love to convert it to a 26er.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
welcome

I haven't experience any bouncing, but I have always carried prettye heavy stuff. The pring is adjustable, sounds like it's set to hard - it has to be adjustet according to the weight of the goods.

The suspension system makes it easier to ride over ruff terrain if you ask me. :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Roil said:
welcome

I haven't experience any bouncing, but I have always carried prettye heavy stuff. The pring is adjustable, sounds like it's set to hard - it has to be adjustet according to the weight of the goods.

The suspension system makes it easier to ride over ruff terrain if you ask me. :)
...that could definitely be the case--i didn't get into any more detail with him. thought it was interesting though. that big(ger) wheel conversion up there looks pretty interesting too. thanks for the welcome

·
dumb ass
330 Posts
Roil said:
Bigger wheel on this on?
yup. rebuilt the rear forks to fit a 26" wheel. i added 2 angled braces [not in this pic] running from the axle to the top/back of the trailer for added support. i run the bob hard over anything in/on the trail [roots, rocks, bigger rocks, trees...]. i didn't like the 16" wheel.

when i bought this bob used it already had a 29" fork on it.

i've been pulling a bob thru the woods for trail maintenance for so long i don't notice it anymore. it'll tuck in behind you, you don't even know it's there. follows the line of the bike perfectly.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
mtnbykr©™ said:
yup. rebuilt the rear forks to fit a 26" wheel. i added 2 angled braces [not in this pic] running from the axle to the top/back of the trailer for added support. i run the bob hard over anything in/on the trail [roots, rocks, bigger rocks, trees...]. i didn't like the 16" wheel.

when i bought this bob used it already had a 29" fork on it.

i've been pulling a bob thru the woods for trail maintenance for so long i don't notice it anymore. it'll tuck in behind you, you don't even know it's there. follows the line of the bike perfectly.
Very nice, a close-up picture of this would be very much appreciated.

This solution gives of course some more ground clearance - which is very nice.

Does it feel more unstable at start and stopp?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts