Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinkin maybe with Earthpigs Help we could plan a get together ride and do a really big ride planned out in the foothills, up to the mountain, etc. Like 30-45 miles
The Boise 45?

End of summer or?

Then plan a BBQ or some good get together afterwards at a spot. Maybe Lucky 13
or Parilla or somewhere else would accommodate an organized ride group like this with
discounted pitchers and food, etc?

This would be a cool way for folks on the board to hook up, get a good ride in, etc.

What do folks think?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sometime in Sept then

smilycook said:
It would be great to do a big 30 to 40 mile ride across the foothills. We could have pizza and drinks at my place afterwards and enjoy my pool. What date were you thinking? Labor day weekend is out for me.

Chris
That's a great idea Chris.

A 40 miler in and around the foothills would cover just about every XC trail in the foothills I can think of..... We can get a designated sweep and/or do rotations or break it into groups with more than one sweep, and regroup points (depending on how big group is?)

FUN is the word

I paged Nels to see if he wants to go to the Stanley sometime in Sept too, or labor day weekend, so want to see what he says first. Then will ask YOU to pick a Sat if that's cool
and Sept sounds good?

Once we plan course we may as well post to SWIMBA and some of the clubs to get a good crew going for it yeah what do you think?
 

·
Back of the pack fat guy
Joined
·
4,008 Posts
Count me in

mtnbkrdr98 said:
I was thinkin maybe with Earthpigs Help we could plan a get together ride and do a really big ride planned out in the foothills, up to the mountain, etc. Like 30-45 miles
The Boise 45?

End of summer or?

Then plan a BBQ or some good get together afterwards at a spot. Maybe Lucky 13
or Parilla or somewhere else would accommodate an organized ride group like this with
discounted pitchers and food, etc?

This would be a cool way for folks on the board to hook up, get a good ride in, etc.

What do folks think?
Not sure what "help" you need from me, but I could be lured into this kind of ride with the promise of post-ride (or even mid-ride) beers. Not sure how to link together a 45 mile ride on dirt that would avoid pavement altogether, but it probably can be done. Perhaps starting over on Rocky Canyon Road and riding the ridge road up to the top of Bogus and then doing some of the Bogus/Stack Rock singletrack (East Side - Sinker - Crash - Stump) to Sweet Connie, down Connie, down BB road to Dry Creek, up Dry Creek to Hard Guy, down Hard Guy to Corrals, and then Corrals to whereever. Sounds like my kind of epic, all day ride.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
700 Posts
Accomodating others

" Not sure how to link together a 45 mile ride on dirt that would avoid pavement altogether, but it probably can be done. Perhaps starting over on Rocky Canyon Road and riding the ridge road up to the top of Bogus and then doing some of the Bogus/Stack Rock singletrack (East Side - Sinker - Crash - Stump) to Sweet Connie, down Connie, down BB road to Dry Creek, up Dry Creek to Hard Guy, down Hard Guy to Corrals, and then Corrals to whereever. Sounds like my kind of epic, all day ride." :eek:

Whoa! That sounds like a real D.D. ride. I am not sure if my desk oriented butt is ready for 45 miles and 5000' of vertical. But if it is broken into section with scheduled times and locations to join the group, I would try to catch up with the pack.

You might also consider going some place outside of the Boise area. There seems to be a few members in the McCall area. They might be enticed to join if the ride was somewhere in between like Tamarack.

Good food for thought!
 

·
Back of the pack fat guy
Joined
·
4,008 Posts
maybe 30 instead of 45?

Irishbuddha said:
" Not sure how to link together a 45 mile ride on dirt that would avoid pavement altogether, but it probably can be done. Perhaps starting over on Rocky Canyon Road and riding the ridge road up to the top of Bogus and then doing some of the Bogus/Stack Rock singletrack (East Side - Sinker - Crash - Stump) to Sweet Connie, down Connie, down BB road to Dry Creek, up Dry Creek to Hard Guy, down Hard Guy to Corrals, and then Corrals to whereever. Sounds like my kind of epic, all day ride." :eek:

Whoa! That sounds like a real D.D. ride. I am not sure if my desk oriented butt is ready for 45 miles and 5000' of vertical. But if it is broken into section with scheduled times and locations to join the group, I would try to catch up with the pack.

You might also consider going some place outside of the Boise area. There seems to be a few members in the McCall area. They might be enticed to join if the ride was somewhere in between like Tamarack.

Good food for thought!
Another good, semi-epic ride I did last year that may be less painful, but nice-n-long was Corrals - Scott's - 8th Street - Ridge Road - Hard Guy - Corrals - Bob's. I also second the McCall idea. I've been riding up there a lot this summer and am becoming somewhat familiar with the more well-known trails.
 

·
Politically Incorrect
Joined
·
100 Posts
Sounds like fun. This spring I rode Ft. Boise Park -> Rocky Canyon -> Shane's -> #5 -> #4 -> Sidewinder -> Crestline (up) -> Up to 8th St parking lot -> #1 -> Bob's -> Bogus Basin Rd. -> Corrals -> #1 -> Back to Crestline (down) -> Crestline -> Military Reserve Connector -> Down the road to Ft. Boise Park. It seems like it ended up being around 30-35 miles, and about 3.5 hours. Was VERY hungry when I got done.

A fun alternate to Earthpig's route could be to substitute Dry Creek for the Hardguy descent.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Whatever you guys want to do

IbikeID said:
Sounds like fun. This spring I rode Ft. Boise Park -> Rocky Canyon -> Shane's -> #5 -> #4 -> Sidewinder -> Crestline (up) -> Up to 8th St parking lot -> #1 -> Bob's -> Bogus Basin Rd. -> Corrals -> #1 -> Back to Crestline (down) -> Crestline -> Military Reserve Connector -> Down the road to Ft. Boise Park. It seems like it ended up being around 30-35 miles, and about 3.5 hours. Was VERY hungry when I got done.

A fun alternate to Earthpig's route could be to substitute Dry Creek for the Hardguy descent.
I don't mind some pavement connecting trails if we have to. Let's see what Chris says too, about a route.
One thing, although McCall is an awesome idea, it would be cool to keep it local for this one so we can take Chris up on the invitation and have copius amounts of good beer and food, and a swim locally afterwards? Or, local establishement......
 

·
Back of the pack fat guy
Joined
·
4,008 Posts
Dry Creek in bad shape right now

IbikeID said:
A fun alternate to Earthpig's route could be to substitute Dry Creek for the Hardguy descent.
I rode Dry Creek about a month ago and found that it's in serious need of some trail maintenence. Many of the sidehill sections are completely washed out, there are deep rain-caused ruts in the center of the trail in many places, and the whole thing is very loose and sandy right now. I rode it with a group of four intermediate to expert riders and everybody was of the same opinion about the shape it's in. I don't recommend riding it right now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
700 Posts
But wait there is more!

How about up Hard Guy and down Shingle? I haven't been on Shingle all year. The sheep should be off of it. I am guessing it will be in the same shape as Dry Creek but sometimes it fun to just throw caution to the wind.

Another options is Eastside, DB, Sinker, Crash, Sweet Connie and end at Hidden Springs. There is a small pub at Hidden Springs. If you haven't ridden the last section, get ready for the black baby heads!

Mmmmm Beer!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Sweet Sweet Connie

Irishbuddha said:
How about up Hard Guy and down Shingle? I haven't been on Shingle all year. The sheep should be off of it. I am guessing it will be in the same shape as Dry Creek but sometimes it fun to just throw caution to the wind.

Another options is Eastside, DB, Sinker, Crash, Sweet Connie and end at Hidden Springs. There is a small pub at Hidden Springs. If you haven't ridden the last section, get ready for the black baby heads!

Mmmmm Beer!
OK so this brings up an interesting ride last tuesday. I think I found my self on Sweet Connie starting from up by stack rock. Where exactly does she come out by hidden springs? Do you have to cross private land? I ended up having to bail off the trail and climb back to Bogus Basin Road b/c it got a little too dark for comfort.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
700 Posts
The answer to your question is yes! I wasn't thinking and probably shouldn't have mentioned it. We need to keep the numbers low on these trails to keep peace.

If you went right, up the hill and and around the corner where you went left at the old homestead, you would have ended up at the north end of the Red Tail trail.

Now I will be quiet since I made a mistake I usually get cranky at others for making. Opps!
 

·
Back of the pack fat guy
Joined
·
4,008 Posts
bad buddha!

Irishbuddha said:
The answer to your question is yes! I wasn't thinking and probably shouldn't have mentioned it. We need to keep the numbers low on these trails to keep peace.

If you went right, up the hill and and around the corner where you went left at the old homestead, you would have ended up at the north end of the Red Tail trail.

Now I will be quiet since I made a mistake I usually get cranky at others for making. Opps!
Bad Buddha! Now go to your room! No more riding for you! (And no more beer either, unless you want light beer!) :p
 

·
Wandervans
Joined
·
2,084 Posts
hmm..it depends on who shows up on which ride we should do

I think it would be cool to do 30 to 40 miles.

If I remember right this ride is about 35 miles and will make you tired, but should not kill an intermediate rider.

Hardguy-bogus-eastside-db-crash-cheater-connie

or something a little tougher would be, this would probably kill an intermediate rider

hardguy-dagget/peace-eagleson-davies or 7-mine or threebears-reserve

how about sunday sept 12th for a date?

Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Nevermind

Irishbuddha said:
The answer to your question is yes! I wasn't thinking and probably shouldn't have mentioned it. We need to keep the numbers low on these trails to keep peace.

If you went right, up the hill and and around the corner where you went left at the old homestead, you would have ended up at the north end of the Red Tail trail.

Now I will be quiet since I made a mistake I usually get cranky at others for making. Opps!
Disregard previous post. It was late. I was tired.
 

·
Back of the pack fat guy
Joined
·
4,008 Posts
Sounds good to me

smilycook said:
I think it would be cool to do 30 to 40 miles.

If I remember right this ride is about 35 miles and will make you tired, but should not kill an intermediate rider.

Hardguy-bogus-eastside-db-crash-cheater-connie

or something a little tougher would be, this would probably kill an intermediate rider

hardguy-dagget/peace-eagleson-davies or 7-mine or threebears-reserve

how about sunday sept 12th for a date?

Chris
Chris - I like your first suggestion - hard guy to connie. (I wonder if what you call "cheater" is what I know as "stump" - takes off to the left at the top of crash and comes back out at the beginning of connie..) That sounds like a great ride. I'm open Sunday the 12th. I'll put it on the ol' calendar.

As for making sure everyone has a good time, the "Ol Coot" in Dirt Rag #109 this month describes a method of group riding called "drop two" where (I think) the lead rider makes the second rider stop and wait for the last rider and then follow from there. At various check points, the second rider must stop and wait. Apparently, it makes group rides a little more fluid and prevents faster guys from dropping slower guys.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Course Details?

Earthpig said:
Chris - I like your first suggestion - hard guy to connie. (I wonder if what you call "cheater" is what I know as "stump" - takes off to the left at the top of crash and comes back out at the beginning of connie..) That sounds like a great ride. I'm open Sunday the 12th. I'll put it on the ol' calendar.
Can anyone give a quick verbal discription of this ride with approximate mileage. I know where hardguy is and I now know sweet connie so if you could fill in the connecting piece that would be cool. I would like to attempt this before the get together just to see if I can do it. Thanks. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I read that too in DirtRag!

As for making sure everyone has a good time, the "Ol Coot" in Dirt Rag #109 this month describes a method of group riding called "drop two" where (I think) the lead rider makes the second rider stop and wait for the last rider and then follow from there. At various check points, the second rider must stop and wait. Apparently, it makes group rides a little more fluid and prevents faster guys from dropping slower guys.[/QUOTE]

I was gonna post about doing that, if we can make it work for everybody
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That sounds fine

how about sunday sept 12th for a date?

Chris[/QUOTE]

I am just going to go to the S Festival Sat night, so will make sure and not drink (too much)

Should we all just pitch in to get stuff for a BBQ after and beers, etc?

Count me in!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
485 Posts
smilycook said:
I think it would be cool to do 30 to 40 miles.

If I remember right this ride is about 35 miles and will make you tired, but should not kill an intermediate rider.

Hardguy-bogus-eastside-db-crash-cheater-connie

or something a little tougher would be, this would probably kill an intermediate rider

hardguy-dagget/peace-eagleson-davies or 7-mine or threebears-reserve

how about sunday sept 12th for a date?

Chris
If we start from CamelBack, Hardguy-DoePoint-LodgeTrail-BB Road-Connie-Camelback is close to 35 miles itself. If we add in Eastside and Stump, (haven't heard of db crash or cheater), thats about another 8 or so miles. The plus about riding to Bogus, at least the lower lodge, is that we can refill our water there.

I haven't heard of many of the others. Are you referring to the Crooked Summit loop (Hardguy, up to Eagleson, down the east side of the ridge, back up to the ridge road near Orchard Gulch between Aldape Summit and trail 7)? Does 3 bears mean 4-6-5? 5 and the top of 4 are in ok condition, but trail 6 (the one marked Curlew Connector) is in bad shape from all the ORV traffic. I'm not a fan of all the loose sand over hardpack in the V-profile rutted ORV trails. I rode it last weekend, and it wasn't fun. 4 just above sidewinder is in pretty poor shape too.

I'm in for a ride.

Justen
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top