Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
ROBOTIC RESERVE
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a Hope 50mm Stem sitting around because the color was gross (Gun Smoke) so I took it to my machine shop and blasted away... I used glass beads and a matte clear coat to prevent any discoloration. Thinking of doing some others parts too. :p

Attachments

·
Seeeriously easy Livin
1,863 Posts
I had a cheap specialized stem off a hardrock that I brought into work while I was at a machine shop, bead blasted, hit it with the grinding wheel, then into the media tumblers for a few hours gave it a smooth galvinized looking finish, still rocking it on my dirt jumper.

·
ROBOTIC RESERVE
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
08nwsula said:
very slick. you must have a pretty easy job, huh?
I wish, sometimes things get so frustrating you just have to walk away and do something else for a little bit.

·
Commit or eat sh!t
2,392 Posts
Nice! How about doing it to a frame? Wheels? Would the underlying AL color look the same for all parts? Is it expensive, or do you re-use the beads?

·
ROBOTIC RESERVE
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cable0guy said:
Nice! How about doing it to a frame? Wheels? Would the underlying AL color look the same for all parts? Is it expensive, or do you re-use the beads?
Wheels might be kind of cool looking. Im not sure how much something like this would cost, benefits of having a machine at work. It uses the same amount of beads over and over, just a continuous flow of material.

Attachments

·
Pivotal figure
6,361 Posts
I miss having access to a bead blaster so much! I did some funky retro looking chainrings by blasting the ano. with a piece of steel mesh over it, gave it a polka-dot pattern. Kinda my Greg Herbold tribute :p

·
Registered
238 Posts
What bead did you use?

do you ever blast with a pot?

·
ROBOTIC RESERVE
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yakmastermax said:
What bead did you use?

do you ever blast with a pot?
Ground Glass Beads

·
Registered
238 Posts
If you don't mind me asking, what grit?

·
maker of trail
2,008 Posts
have it natural anodized after a media blast, keeps the fin and makes it a little more matte/milky white. One of my favorite ally finishes :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts