Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently race BMX and I've reduced the amount of racing I've been doing but still enjoy riding and looking into getting a 26" to hit the trails. I'm in the process of selling my 20" race bike since I cannot force myself to ride it but I'll ride my cruiser all day long but I don't want to hit the trails with it.

Any suggestion on a complete bike would be nice. Plus I'm trying to keep the cost around $700.

·
i also unicycle
2,043 Posts
i assumed he meant in a more XC type of fashion, in which case go to you LBSs and tell them what you're looking for and test ride everything in that price range, narrow the field to a few and then test ride everything again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm looking for bike that I can take to the bmx type trails and race it in a bmx race if I choose. I've been looking at the DX Xenia, GT Ruckus UF, Haro Thread 1

·
To "Air" Is Human
744 Posts
Blk Mkt would be dope...mine arrives today.

I noticed you said you race BMX. The Spank Puff handles more like a BMX race bike. It is a 16" so if you are on the trails you don't die. This bike has been run with gears and as a SS. It even has stops for a front Der. Don't mind the pink...

Why you should ride with tassels...

I should add it is a freaking riot on the pump and BMX tracks.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Haro Thread 1 is definitely a good option. Also since you are a bmxer check out some 24 inchers like the Eastern stuff and Subrosa and WTP that might be a pretty good option also
Eastern Traildigger 24 or 26
Eastern Night Train (have to be used or last years model)
Eastern Thunderbird (have heard some good stuff about these and it's 699 at Jenson)
Subrosa Letum Cruiser (have heard nothing about these so I have no clue whether they are good or not)
WeThePeople Unified 24Inch Cruiser (haven't heard much about these and not sure if they are available in the states)

Hope this helps a little

·
To "Air" Is Human
744 Posts
TXneedmountain said:
...Eastern Thunderbird (have heard some good stuff about these and it's 699 at Jenson)
Great bikes! The handlebar needs to go immediately though, a bit narrow. Even the guys at Eastern tossed the stock bar first day. For the record they are 699 at any dealer...and maybe even cheaper at smaller dealers.

·
To "Air" Is Human
744 Posts
joelalamo45 said:
How come you didn't recommend the P1 Lance? :)
Those come free with a Girls Happy Meal! I just built a Stab Garbonzo for the on of the bike managers at Snow Shoe. We may be riding Trestle on Monday...see you there Joel. We need to ride the trail from Echo to Idaho Springs, soon.

Ok, ok end of thread hijack.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
i also recommend the DK Xenia--one of my best bike purchases ever. (even though i have a new bike now, i still ride it and still like it). if you get last years model you may even get it for as low as 550 on closeout. you can't beat that.

i have ridden bmx tracks, jumps, and xc trails on it.

it's also a 22.2"top tube so it won't be as small/cramped as some of the other completes out there that are 21.5"tt, like the eastern thunderbird and maybe the p1 and p2 (not sure about those).

some of the mods i did were to change the oil in the fork to a heavier weight and adjust the internal rebound adjuster. also i grinded the rear dropout slots to pull the the wheel up further. it is at 15 7/8" cs (center of bb to center of axle) right now.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a 08 GT Ruckus UF ($650 or so) and I love it. I rode bmx for years and this bike just has the right geometry...in my opinion better than the Black Market Mob or Riot. You'll eventually have to upgrade the forks but the frame and geometry is awsome. It's long too.:thumbsup:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.